Convection Microwave

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by tena, Dec 22, 2011.

1. tena

tena

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Do convection microwaves really cook as well as conventional or convection ovens?

I’d love feedback from those of you who have used both.

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    As convection cooks like a regular oven only faster I favor it. Microwave cooks by kinetic energy not like a regular oven . There are limited uses and iut tends to dehydrate many foods and make others tough.

3. benway

benway

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Not familiar with convection microwaves but it doesn't seem to make sense from a thermodynamics standpoint as microwaves don't heat the air, thus it shouldn't matter if the air is moving.

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Isn't Tena talking about a microwave that also has a convection oven in it, so you can do one or the other or both? 

I have one of these (a Sharp) which also has an upper and lower grill, and you can use any combination of these.  I've used the microwave+convection oven when i want roast potatoes quickly because the microwave (on low voltage setting) cooks them from the inside, while the convection (set to very high heat) gets them brown and crisp on the outside.  I got it mainly so i could defrost food easily (it has a very good defrost function, based on type of food and weight) and also to have some extra oven space.But the double function turns out occasionally to be convenient.  I admit i also occasionally will do chicken thighs that way when in a real hurry, and it's ok.