Continuing Education

Joined Dec 19, 2015
Greetings- I was speaking with a chef recently who used to take continuing education classes once a year typically through the CIA (this was around the late 90's/early 2000's) that were typically 3-5 days and resulted in some sort of final certificate in order to gain new knowledge on specialties (i.e. foraging, cheese-making, development or garde or the likes). I've been searching through all the CIA websites but cannot find anything of the likes. So my question for you is have any of you gone on to do some of these courses or know where to find them? Exact location isn't necessary but trying to find a class that is in the US and just a few days long so I could tie that into my work schedule without having to take extended time off and still keep learning. Cheers!

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Both CIA and Johnson and Wales have multiple campuses across the country. I think JW more than CIA so I think I'd start with them. You might have to call one of the campuses. I'm sure they have continuing education but the websites may not be current for whatever reason.
Of course there are also numerous other culinary schools and community college programs who may offer classes. I'd begin by investigating your area to see what is nearby, then expand the search radius. A local equipment supply company may have connections.
I also find visiting people and companies who make the products to be educational as well. The move to more artisanal products means people are making all kinds of foods in all sorts of locations. Most are quite willing to share their knowledge and you can see at a glance what equipment and processes are involved. Quite often, while you wouldn't plan to invest in the equipment, you can gain an immediate understanding of the steps involved and see how to adapt it to your situation. In our area are dairy farmers, millers grinding fresh flour, pickle and jam makers, cheese makers, bread bakers and much more. Visiting takes less than a day and offers an opportunity for a brief road trip. A bit of planning can mean visiting two in one day.
Whatever your location, I think there are probably many people near you making something and worth a visit.

Joined Mar 14, 2018
What about online classes? I've never done anything like that but it seems there are a lot of them. I would think since you already have a good foundation of knowledge then an online class wouldn't be a bad thing.

Joined Dec 19, 2015
Thanks for the help Chefs- I'm already exploring random online classes for fun and doing local tours of farms/factories and such to help boost the knowledge. I'm in a fortunate situation however that my current work will pay for me to send me somewhere for a week to explore the avenues, so I was hoping to find classes that I could get accreditation from so I can boost my resume more.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
I can't vouch for the classes themselves (the trailers look good certainly) but there are several online classes offered by like Thomas Keller, Gordon Ramsay, etc. for a decent price. Looks like video lessons with interviews spliced in. Check it out...looks pretty good.

https://www.masterclass.com/

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I took these classes in the 1990's at CIA Napa Valley. One was a Hot Wok Pasta cooking course and another one was Soups,Stocks and Sauces. I took like 6 classes in all. I stayed in the dorm on site that was right next to the school. I really like the courses because I and no formal training. Throughout my whole career I did things how I thought they should be not necessarily the exact way someone would be taught if they went to Culinary School.

I also remember companies like Sodexo Food Service company sent a team of their Chefs there to develop a new menu for some of their upscale cafeterias. They offer all kinds of classes, call CIA and take with them about whats offered. I know there are also Cookbook Authors that offer classes offered with people like Rick Baylass who had one week courses there.......ChefBillyB

Joined May 30, 2015
Maplehurst offers good baking/pastry CE classes, and the good part is that they come to you for the class. The downside is that they usually require an on-going contract with the business and don't offer the classes to individuals.

Top Bottom