Consomme's

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefedb, Jul 24, 2012.

1. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Do the schools still teach consomme making? and if so, name 5 kinds or garnishes.

Don't look at book now.

2. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    I can think of alot but the standard ones I use here are : royale, brunoise, julienne, quenelles

Maybe not everyone's favorite but its my favorite : jellied madrilène consomme- with a lemon garnish. This consomme has the nicest mouth feel for a cold consomme.

Jelly that moves not hard like jello.

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Good job Petals!  add Printenierre, Royal, Celestine, Du Barry there are many more but I forgot them   EDB

4. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
     Yes, those are good ones. Another consomme I make is Colbert, you must know that one ?

Petals

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    At least 40 years since I have made that. If memory serves me right, Sauteed veges, poached eggs, chervil???

6. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Yes.

I have never been at a place that loves consomme as they do here. Hot/cold/tepid/served every which way you can think of.

Here is a garnish that will make you laugh; diablotins.

The name sounds outrageous but in effect its only a crouton.

Petals.

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I have seen believe it or not bottled consomme concentratet? They left me a sample , maybe its good for soaking soiled pots in, but not to serve upper crust people.  No thank you I;ll stick with old way in my old consomme pot with a spout.

8. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Celestine is the one I liked best and I think this is because I grew up with it and hope you make the the crepes with lots of chopped chives just like my mother did./img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

9. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Wow you guys are good. I have read about consommes in my books, never ever made one, not even tasted one, let alone remember a single name. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

10. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I thought Diablotin was  croutons spreard with parmesan and egg, accented with Cayenne (hence the Diablo,or devil) baked, and cut into lozenge form.

Madrilene is another,, julienne of tomato (seeded and peeled,or course)

Profiterole is another--tiny balls of choux paste.  I'll never forget the time I spent half an hour piping those suckers out, and the Chef takes the sheet pan and bangs it into the convection oven.  The sight of a sheet of prachment paper smeared up against the oven walls was heartbreaking... 

11. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    It certainly is Foodpump, but when you hear the name "Diablotin"...well it is, a jazzed up crouton.

The consomme has tomato in it to give it that nice color, 'une tomate concassee'.

Also  a hint of sherry.

Do they teach this in school still ? I realize that consomme soup is not the popular soup/broth it once was. Today everyone is looking for the meal in a bowl.

But I think the consomme was started just to open the appetite.

Petals.

12. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I also believe the overall prep time has a lot to do with it.