Considerations on my first santuko

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by SkipII, Oct 31, 2017.

1. SkipII

SkipII

Exp:
    12/30/2018
    I am steadily moving away from an old (matched, sorry!) set of Henkels and toward select Western-style japanese knives. I currently have an Mcusta nikiri, a Shiki gyoto and a short Shun chef (which I detest, for some reason).

I want to get a santuko next. No, i don't watch Rachel Ray; I just like the design of the tip, especially for all the onion work I do.

I know how to sharpen, and all of my blades (except that miserable Shun) can fall straight through a sheet of paper without being drawn, so edge sharpness (or the ability to achieve and hold it) is important.

I was looking at the Glestain, but another thread on this site discounted it as overpriced for what ti is.

I don't want to pay too much for bling (I did on the Shiki), but aesthetics matter. I hold the knife properly with two fingers on the blade, so some of the knives that pretend to be shaped to your hand move your hand too far back.

All that, and, oh... would like to stay under $200.

Ideas?

2. SkipII

SkipII

Exp:
    12/30/2018
  3. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
  4. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    see what is available local. go to Tar-mart or Walget and see what they have that fits your hand. then try local restaurant supply store. since you sharpen well, steel and maker are only for bragging rights. geometry cuts, what a santoku is asked to do won't dull any steel till after days of use. so you end up with a sharp knife that goes dull a little quicker, but can be restored to max sharpness with a few strokes on a stone.

Iceman likes this.
  5. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Just burn a $20 bill and save your time

6. SkipII

SkipII

Exp:
    12/30/2018
    I have no idea what that means or to what you are referring.

scott livesey likes this.
  7. SkipII

SkipII

Exp:
    12/30/2018
    Starting to narrow things down the more I learn.

I know I want a flatter santuko, not a rocker.

50/50 bevel

I had a long, detailed talk with someone who really is a knife geek and they said to consider a powdered steel or "nitrogenized" steel instead of V-10? Said it was less brittle than V-10 but every bit as strong. I'm not sure I'll find one in my price range though (<$200). I may let that one go.

I'm skipping Granton style for now but would like a hammered Damascus (yeah, mostly for looks).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  8. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree w/ Scott.

toshhasa16.html ... $31

They've got a bunch of others for good prices too.

9. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
  10. SkipII

SkipII

Exp:
    12/30/2018
    Dual bevel, Western-style...

Rick, yours came closest. Just wish that was hammered Damascus -- yes, aesthetics but some functionality in terms of food not sticking quite as much. Your Takamura is the first PM I've seen at that price.

11. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    like I said, go where you can touch the knives and see how they feel. PM steel is just the latest fad in knife materials. the steels work great for knives that turn old bulls in bologna or tires into mulch but don't excel as very thin(0.03" or less 1/2" above the edge) low angle(10 degrees or less per side) slicers which is why you chose a santoku. see what is available in AEB-L or 13C26, the steel most folks shave with.
    try these https://radakitchenstore.com/collections/all-cutlery/products/cooks-knife https://radakitchenstore.com/collections/all-cutlery/products/cooks-utility-knife both knives with shipping will probably set you back $30. they are well made and will slice veg see thru thin out of the box. if you don't like them, good gifts for December holidays.

Iceman likes this.
  12. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Those are both good choices for the $$$. If I was gonna suggest anything further, I would say to get the black resin handles. Maybe it's just me, but I HATE metal handles for their slippyness.

13. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Or you could just burn a 20.

You know I do believe the OP clearly intimated he was all set for plain, course-grained soft-steel black-handled knives with thick edges.

14. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    That tojiro looks decent but I've been burned by their KU finished shirogami so I'm wary of recommending it. OP wants western handle anyway.

15. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    i guess you never used a Rada knife. hard to have a thick edge when the blades are flat ground and only 0.04" at the spine. just an alternative to Master Baka's super Rimbyo with steel made from ore harvested with magnets during a full moon.

16. SkipII

SkipII

Exp:
    12/30/2018
    Sure doesn't feel like you are contributing genuinely to this conversation, unless I'm missing something.

17. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Oh but I have used .040" spined knives (they actually tend to be more like .044+) with thick edges, thick so far as I was concerned, and the OP also I had gathered. Though when you come across them for 25 cents at the church flea market these do make fun little fixer-uppers to eventually gift to someone who uses Ginsu along with some really clunky stuff people get gifted often enough, and the like.

Skipll, I didn't notice anywhere that you even vaguely intimated you were interested in $10 knives, especially given your previous vote of appreciation for my input. Was I, or Millions fro that matter, then missing something here?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  18. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I LOVE Ginsu knives. You need to understand them and accept them for what they are. Great value for what they do.

19. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yes agreed, especially when you get them for 25 cents at the church flea market.

The Ever Sharp brand is actually the best of the bunch I've come across, in terms of steel anyways.