confused of choosing culinary school

Joined Jul 1, 2019
hi,
I already do so many research about culinary school around the world. Then I found a culinary school offer so many certificate when someone graduate from their program(city and guild, WACS, and AQF), are those certificate useful?
I also consider LCB, but I have a question about qualification that I'll get after completing their program. Different branch offer different certificate, some are offering national certificate. That make me confuse to choose between branches.

Please give me some information, or suggest a good culinary school for me. Thank you

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Hi and welcome to CT.

There are some very good threads in this forum that already have information about good culinary schools in the US and Europe.

Good luck. :)

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Greetings Andika!

Welcome to Chef Talk!

Here is my opinion.

Certificates are always a good thing because they demonstrate your desire to learn and commitment to the career.

Every school teaches basic methods. It is uncommon for you to make anything more than once, before moving on to another product/method/technique at any school.

I favor local community programs for this basic knowledge. You have to look at your situation and choose the best bang for your money.

LCB and CIA offer networking opportunities to get your foot in the door but it is all about your efforts that determine success.

A significant part of being a chef is making decisions regarding efficient usage of assets and ingredients. The choices you make are always based on your particular goals and a vast multitude of variables. Staff, equipment, budget, space limitations, menu, etc. This is a test of your decision making!

Do you think spending 4-5 times the amount of money for school makes you 4-5 times better in the kitchen?

Joined Jul 1, 2019
sgsvirgil sgsvirgil thanks i'll search it.

sgmchef sgmchef money isn't a problem, I need a school that teach well and will give more knowledge that will help me to enter this industry. let me know your opinion which one will you choose between a school that offer 5 certificate at once or LCB?

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Hi Andika,

Choose the curriculum that lays the best foundation for your long term goal.

Where do you want to be in 10 years, and doing what?

Food truck? Bistro? Steak house? Fusion? Pastry shop? Ethnic?

What interests you the most? Where does your passion lie?

I'd get a job in that type of establishment to see if you really like it as much as you thought you would.

It's OK if you aren't sure of your trajectory right now, I just wanted to get you thinking long term. Any reputable school can provide the basic knowledge. Location, curriculum, and part time job opportunities might make the difference for you.

I believe that the choice of school is far less important than your work ethic.

Good luck!

Joined Jul 1, 2019
hi sgmchef sgmchef ,

i'm planning to get a job after graduating from culinary school maybe for 5 years, then i want to build my own business. Thank you for your advice, it's helping me alot :)

Top Bottom