Confused. How does it work elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cronker, Sep 8, 2017.

1. cronker

cronker

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    so, in Australia, you need to complete a four year course to become a "chef"
    Some, if not a lot, of that involves coalface work. You do a lot of your training on the job.
    Almost every job you might go for expects the Cert Iv certificates (except perhaps Asian, but that's another story)
    How does it work in your world?

2. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You need to be the only person in the kitchen who doesn't show up drunk for a week. That alone will make you highly qualified. In the USA if you can do it, you got it. It's not the amount of Certs you have, it's about the ability you required over the years. I for one didn't go to Culinary school. I moved up in the business by being the best in all the kitchens I worked in. After working in over 25 food services I start my own Food Service Management company and Catering company. I wouldn't want this process to be allowed for a Heart Surgeon or Doctor. In this business you just have to show you can and then prove it....ChefBillyB

Shirlie Lynn and flipflopgirl like this.
  3. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Well... first there is this whole "chef" thing. I know of no school or apprenticeship that turns out chefs. I took a 3 year apprenticeship in Switzerland. After three years of very hard work, split shifts, and countless tests in school, and a major, 6 hr practical test, I revieved gov't recognized qualifications as a cook. The document was written in all of Switzerlands 4 official languages, and each one said "cook", not chef.

The thing with qualifications is this:
    The document says you know this and that, capable of this and that. In other words you have no excuse not to know. Its kind of like a driver's licence, if you cruise through a 4 way stop, you have no reason to plead ignorence.

4. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    "Chef" is a vocabulary word. If you like calling yourself a Chef ... go ahead. It's just a word. ChefBilly was right. Skills beat everything else. I went to school. The stuff I learned in two(2) years of school I wasn't gonna learn in the same two(2) years of experience, because I would not have been working at those levels. I did not however learn technological or mechanical skills in school. I once had a big-reputation acclaimed hot-shot chef take my head off for cutting up fruit like an amateur. I almost choked him. Put food perfectly cooked on the plate and you will do well. Have your plates come back to the window and you'll be looking for a new job. Listening is a skill ... learn it. As you learn new things you get versatile. Versatility gets paid well.

"We work in kitchens ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

5. stormrider

stormrider

Exp:
    Demi Chef
    Here in the UK, every cook is called Chef. There are in order of seniority: Head Chef, Sous-Chefs (Senior/Junior), Chef de Partie (Senior/Junior), Demi-Chef and Commis Chef.

In order to become a Head-Chef, it's usually not necessary to have any formal education other than the required HACCP (Food Safety Courses) levels. Culinary education is of course valued but not at all required.