Conflicted on my future

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by shumaza, May 4, 2010.

1. shumaza

shumaza

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hello, i've been cooking for the better part of my 25 years be it at home, at applebees or one of three retirment homes.  Food has always been my greatest passion and one of the only things i've ever been able to do well.  My problem is i don't know if it's what i want to do for a living,  i'm married with a child and to be honest the idea of working 12 hours a day five days a week is not something i want to do.. i enjoy being with my family and free time and have never been a workaholic.  I realize their are all kinds of different cooking jobs but what i wanted to know is how common is it to work in a kitchen part time or even a smaller bistro/cafe. 

As a side note we are moving to jonesboro georgia which is just south of atlanta and the school i have been looking at there LCB  and i was wondering if anyone had any useful information on them.

thank you for your time!

2. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well, I would first say that it depends how bad you need the money. I haven't had to pull a whole bunch of 12 hour days in a long time. I don't make a whole bunch of money cooking either but I do alright and have plenty of time to devote to other things. Some of them are supposed to start making me money too....eventually.

If your not interested in being the owner of a restaurant or the Head Chef I wouldn't suggest LCB as an option for school as there is probably a cooking class at the community college for much cheaper. 

3. shumaza

shumaza

Exp:
    At home cook
    ok well what do you consider a whole bunch of money lol.. to be honest shit tons of money really isn't something i'm interested in. i made 17k last year working almost full time and i hate my job *i work at an assisted living facility in nebraska as a cook*  It's not really the job it's the people i work with and i think most of that is why i hate to cook when i'm home... i mean every once in a while i get a bug in my ass where i feel a little more like myself but with that and personal stuff my passions just not there.  I'd love to work somewhere and make food i enjoy making instead of casseroles with ready made or sub par supplies. i'm sick and tired of cubing roasts with a dull knife that is so worn out the whole half back doesn't even touch the damn cutting board!  i want to make real food and enjoy what i do.

btw as is i make 9.20 an hour and i've done some searching that say the average starting wages for chefs in and around atlanta is about 25-30k a year but it didn't say if thats chefs or line cooks.. any insight on this matter i mean i know it varies on where you work but just wondering about the average