Confidential flak

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by shahar, Jan 5, 2006.

1. shahar

shahar

I've been seeing during last four years(since relocating to the states) the bad effects of "kitchen confidential".
    What seems to me as an indictment of the system, people take as an affirmation or, worse, as a guide.

Discuss -

2. chef_bob

chef_bob

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have to say I recomend it to any one who is thinking (or has a child that is thinking) of entering the profession. The fact is it CAN be an ugly world with lots of temptations and bad dudes. Being aware of this can be a good way to survive.

3. plongeur

plongeur

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I gave my (French) chef a (french translation) copy for Christmas. He thought it was hysterical.

4. chef_bob

chef_bob

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    good point plonger, I read mine the first time on a train and laughed out loud several times.:roll:

5. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I can't say I have seen that. My students (high school!) read it and often ask me about the accuracy/factual basis for the book. Other than that, it is a look inside an, often misunderstood, industry.

6. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    The ones who take it as a guide would probably behave stupidly anyway. They will burn themselves out fast, or they will grow up. Either way, it's just a matter of keeping out of their way so YOU don't get hurt in the meantime. Then again, I don't know that they're any worse than the XXX graduates who come out of school thinking they are god's gift to the restaurant world, ready to be execs. (Fill in the blank with your least favorite school. :rolleyes: ) I worked with both, and the best thing I could do was just focus on my station, keep my head down, and keep working.