condo living chefs

Joined Oct 9, 2017
Hi,

I'm planning to move out of my mother's house and move in my condo in spring/summer. My condo is a little over 600sqft with roughly 7' by 7' kitchen area, I have attach a picture of my condo layout to get an idea. I figured i'm probably limited to what things I can get in term of kitchen equipments.

I was wondering if anybody here who is a chef and live in a small condo with a small kitchen. what are your "must have" items and what brand do you recommend?

Attachments

• 20170801_005811_001_1504700459231.jpg
    20170801_005811_001_1504700459231.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 17
Joined Sep 26, 2017
I lived in a 500 sq ft apartment for the longest time. I only had a stick blender, a KitchenAid mixer, and the basic (pots, pans, and knives).

Joined Feb 8, 2015
Way over thinking this. Buy the basics only. As you live and cook buy the things you find yourself missing. Most important is getting a nice set of matching plates, glasses/ wine/ tumblers/ shot, ect,. silverware, salad bowl, bread basket. That way when you have company/ family or girlfriend/ boyfriend over you look somewhat civilized

Joined Oct 9, 2017
I lived in a 500 sq ft apartment for the longest time. I only had a stick blender, a KitchenAid mixer, and the basic (pots, pans, and knives).

Oh wow .. how did living in a 500sqft go for you? You live in a house now?

Way over thinking this. Buy the basics only. As you live and cook buy the things you find yourself missing. Most important is getting a nice set of matching plates, glasses/ wine/ tumblers/ shot, ect,. silverware, salad bowl, bread basket. That way when you have company/ family or girlfriend/ boyfriend over you look somewhat civilized

Then what are good quality brands of plates, glasses/wine/tumblers? I already got oineda utensils

Joined Sep 26, 2017
It was tight but not uncomfortable. I live in a house now, and I have pretty much all the kitchen stuff under the sun. Must have been subconsciously repressed back then. LOL.

I was the total opposite of hookedcook. LOL. I used paper plates, plastic cups, and plastic utensils (top quality ones though). My guesses didn't seem to mind at all. Maybe it was because of my good food? :p

Joined Aug 15, 2003
Bathroom off the kitchen? :sick::sick::sick:

I don't understand your question fully...you want us to tell you what you should buy to equip your kitchen? Are you worried about counter space or storage space?

I mean...

coffee machine
toaster/toaster oven
mixer
food processor
blender
microwave

I'd start with that. Like hookedcook said, fill in the gaps when you find you need them.

Joined Oct 9, 2017
It was tight but not uncomfortable. I live in a house now, and I have pretty much all the kitchen stuff under the sun. Must have been subconsciously repressed back then. LOL.

I was the total opposite of hookedcook. LOL. I used paper plates, plastic cups, and plastic utensils (top quality ones though). My guesses didn't seem to mind at all. Maybe it was because of my good food? :p

Lol ... Must be pretty damn good food for your guests to ignore the material of the plates, cups and utensils being plastic

Bathroom off the kitchen? :sick::sick::sick:

I don't understand your question fully...you want us to tell you what you should buy to equip your kitchen? Are you worried about counter space or storage space?

I mean...

coffee machine
toaster/toaster oven
mixer
food processor
blender
microwave

I'd start with that. Like hookedcook said, fill in the gaps when you find you need them.

Yes.. what should I buy to equip my kitchen with limited space ...also what brand is good for the money/value.. I don't want to pay the cheapest because usually it breakdown quickly and have to buy another one

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Before investing in the toaster oven take the one they provided for a spin.
Nothing better than buttery toast made on a cast iron griddle (I have a 9 inch round that is awesome for burgers and toast and rewarming pizza slices).
There are some really good mini processors on the market as well.
The thing to keep in mind is everything doesn't have to fit into the kitchen.
If you have no open space under your bed see if you could modify it to sit on a "storage" deck.

This is a great chance to learn self control.
So buy the very best pieces you can afford from many different makers.
Really concentrate on what is important to you and spend your money wisely.
I still do this for many items...turn shopping for the EXACT whatever into a short term hobby.
...but then again I have no life lol....
mimi

Joined Oct 9, 2017
Before investing in the toaster oven take the one they provided for a spin.
Nothing better than buttery toast made on a cast iron griddle (I have a 9 inch round that is awesome for burgers and toast and rewarming pizza slices).
There are some really good mini processors on the market as well.
The thing to keep in mind is everything doesn't have to fit into the kitchen.
If you have no open space under your bed see if you could modify it to sit on a "storage" deck.

This is a great chance to learn self control.
So buy the very best pieces you can afford from many different makers.
Really concentrate on what is important to you and spend your money wisely.
I still do this for many items...turn shopping for the EXACT whatever into a short term hobby.
...but then again I have no life lol....
mimi

Definitely not buying a toaster oven ... Really?! Buttered toast on cast iron, I gotta try that

How do u cook the pizza? On the stove top or u mean preheating it and put the pizza on it and put it in the oven?

Cast iron pans is one of the things I want to get for sure ... The lodge brand

It depends on the space under my bed because I'm currently looking around for what is the best built bed frame that lasts

What are some of the best pieces from different makers?

Joined Apr 25, 2017
I don't know brands, but a "captains bed" is a good idea for smaller dwellings. Since you are buying a bed anyway, the drawers will be easier to use than just storing stuff under the bed.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Re rewarming pizza .... I preheat oven (hothothot) and place pizza on the griddle that has been heated on stove top (sometimes I "refresh" the cheese with my own blend) and then into the box until bubbly.
Takes no time at all.
I never keep leftover pizza so this is only an option for the slices that get cold while we are working our way thru the pie on movie night.

mimi

Latest posts

Top Bottom