concert menu suggestions

Joined Jul 30, 2007
stodgy perhaps but i am finding the pictures extremely entertaining and interesting..the attention to detail is inspiring in an anal sort of way...food today is so much more freer, creative and colorful...some of pellaprat's pasta and grain dishes look so sickly... for instance the carbonara, i would throw some peas in there or the simple spaghetti with clams could use some fresh basil or italian parsley...our dishes(plates) are more interesting today as well with shapes and colors galore.. he sure did like to make alot of food to look like eyeballs...that stuff always wigs me out a bit...like someone staring at you...you know what they say...'just cuz you're paranoid doesn't mean that someone's not after you!'..anyway, i am enjoying it immensely, thanks for asking.....does make me think about how all the stodgy cooks got to where they are though....

joey

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Don't think the pictures had anything to do with Pellaprat personally.  One of the publishers had them done, the first English publisher "if memory serves."

Any particular stodgy cooks in mind?  

BDL 

Joined Jul 30, 2007
no, not exactly...it's just that some people only wear white socks their entire life, while others run barefoot!

joey

Joined Jul 30, 2007
not for long buckaroo pete....indeed,not for long !..plus spurs are really great for keeping the walk in door from shutting behind you!!!

joey

Last edited:
Joined Jul 30, 2007
BDL,

it is becoming increasingly clear to me that monsieur henri-paul pellaprat was/is a genius. his recipes which appear simple and straightforward, are just that...the stodgy photos had me fooled at first! the more i read through his recipes(which tells alot about a person), the more i want to know the person, the man himself, the genius that drove him, his life...everything. what a time to be in paris..to work, to train under the best, with the best, in the best...to be the best...wow!...mind blowing really...any reading recommendations? thanks

joey

Joined Feb 13, 2008
durangojo,

Jeremiah's edition has some bio I think.  At any rate whatever there is to know about Pellaprat, Tower knew it.  I think there might be some stuff on the Cordon Bleu website.  If Pellaprat wasn't precisely a "founder," he was not only their most influential teacher but probably had more to do with making it the institutional force it became than anyone else. 

You've hit the nail on the head in terms of what he liked and what he liked to teach.  He was one of those great, ingredient-driven simplifiers who come along every so often, drag us all back to first principles, and get everything to make sense.  He's one of my culinary heroes, and probably the biggest influence on my own cooking.  No one markets a spoon engraved with "What Would Pellaprat Do?" But more's the pity.  A lot of us would be better for it.

Excuse the gush,

BDL

Joined Jul 30, 2007
thanks bdl...will definately search the net when i have time....after the weekend most probably....here's a kick in the pants though...the powers that be(the people that pay me) now want an italian buffet...go figure! am a bit disappointed, but oh well, learn and live!...

joey

Top Bottom