concert menu suggestions

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by durangojo, Jul 14, 2011.

1. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    every summer i cater a buffet dinner for about 75 or so for a trio concert in the restaurant. as the music changes countries i try and pair the food. last year was german, which isn't my favorite music or cuisine...this year's music is from france, argentina and germany. any ideas on how to pull together the three countries eclectically?...first thoughts are of something with chimichurri, but that will stand up to a buffet...beef? pork? pork would be my first choice, but am open to any suggestions or advice. to be truthful, i don't care much about the german contribution to the main meal...i can do little german cookies or pastries to cover that country. thanks all...

joey

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Mixed grill / charcouterie covers all the bases.

BDL

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  3. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Matambre

4. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    can you be more specific por favor, oh did i mention they were well heeled but cheap?...as most of the rich seem to be....i have worked for so many over the years that by now that i know why they have ALL  the money and we don't..cheapskates most of them.....

joey

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  5. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    tincook.prey tell , what is matambre? connecting three european countries beautifully, each dish complimenting the next...i just don;t want to end up with sauerkraut and a tagine and a french onion tart..give me a saucy french dish..maybe fish with mornay sauce in a rice blend....i don't know..you all are the experts..pretend it was your gig..what woud you do...salads and sides i can deal with ..it's the mains i'm stuck on..thanks

joey

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  6. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook

It's a type of Argentine charcouterie. It can be served cold like a deli meat, or warm as an entree.

Butterfly a flank steak (I've heard of versions using brisket). Make a farcemeat, garnish it with veggies etc as if you were making a terrine. Spread the farce on the steak. Line the center with hard boiled eggs (under cook them so they don't get green and nasty when the whole thing gets cooked). Roll it up and tie it. You want a bullseye, not a spiral. I suppose the best cooking methods would be low and slow BBQ or sear and braise.

Serve with chimichurri.

7. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Oh, you will also want to weight it while you cool it. Otherwise it will tend to unravel while slicing.

8. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    okay, since i can't beat it out of you or bribe you with booze i will have to look it up..better if i had one of yoru 'go to recipes,tried and true..don't need measurements, just ingredient list...thanks!

joey

9. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook

??? I didn't give you enough to work on?

10. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    is  matambre the  argentina" equilivant to the italian 'bracciole'..okay, maybe we got a startin place, tin..thanks for the juice!....what else you got? come on...bdl, walk me through your version of mixed grill, if you would...thanks all..i'm just pooped and all out of ideas.... can figure out the sides...it's the main stuff that is the stickler...do really like the idea of the matambe...okay anyone taking on france? and how to have a euro simpatico dinner...oh god without italy..whatever shall we do?

joey

11. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    kinda. it's bigger and got more stuffing.

France? hmm... Poulet Roti would work with the Argentine stuff, while still being french.

German is kinda tough for the Summer. I'd be tempted to let the cold cuts etc do the heavy working. Have a good bread selection. I'd make sure to include some pretzel rolls because you don't see those often. (Take your lean roll dough, give it a lye wash, top with some coarse salt, etc). Currywurst or other grilled sausage?  I kinda want to try some brathering. (It's German fish escabeche. Fish is fried, then marinated.)

12. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Italy has Bracciole,  Germany has Rollmops,  France has Veal Birds and Mini Gallantines which is along same lines as Matanbre only smaller.

US does a Stuffed Flank Steak

13. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Rollmops are pickled herring. Not quite the same thing.

14. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Joey, you're talking about a buffet. How many fooditems would you present in total and/or per country? Do you have a separate starter/main/dessert section?

Does the musicprogram need to match the sequence of starter/main/dessert?

15. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    chris, 

nothing needs to be in sequence...the buffet is after the concert...most people by then won't even remember what was played nonetheless in what order!.....don't know how many different dishes i need...probably at least one main per country plus sides and desserts...haven't gotten that far...just stumped on the entrees....i know beef rules in argentina, just not sure what type....flank steak, sliced to order? with chimichurri...god, i just love that stuff! thinking pork would be a bit easier and personally more tasty than beef, but what do i know!...really do appreciate all the suggestions so far...

joey

16. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    for some reason veal roast popped in my head this morning...as in marengo....how difficult and/or expensive would this be, and would it be a good choice for a buffet? 

joey

17. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I did a lot of Marengos when I used to cater.  Marengo isn't a roast.  It's a stew which lands somewhere between a saute and braise.  Sort of the Provencal version of chasseur or cacciatore.  I think of it as more fall than summer, even though the battle of Marengo (between France and Austria) was fought in June.  To keep with tradition, you'll have to flute the mushrooms.  Fun.

By the way, who's the Argentinian composer?  Hope it's Gardel.  

BDL

18. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    thanks bdl for the info...yeah, i looked it up....i guess i just like the name...sounds fun and exotic...but..maybe i could do it as a kind of chunky dish and serve it over a lentil pilaf or something...that could work, i think...i'll find out who the composers are....

joey

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  19. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
     so, here's an update....this is what i'm thinking so far..... an adaptation of a marengo using boneless, skinless thighs.....anybody got a recipe or can direct me to one? rice pilaf with lentils, grilled sausages with peppers and onions, some sort of pasta/ grilled vegetable dish(zucchini, summer squash, eggplant,red/orange peppers) or maybe vegetable kebobs, empanadas(maybe not...may be too much work), antipasti platter of different olives, cheeses, marinated artichoke hearts roasted red peppers etc., sliced tomatoes with capers, fresh basil, olive oil, balsamic- fennel vinaigrette..assorted artisanal breads, herbed flatbread and baguettes with herb butter. dulce de leche with fresh berries for dessert...how am i doing so far? any other suggestions, ideas? i know i didn't cover germany very well...maybe the sausages will count or some of the cheeses....what kind of sausage do you think? blood sausage?..i know nothing about cooking them... thanks all...appreciate the ears!

joey

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  20. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I like Pellaprat's Marengo something fierce.  You absolutely can make it with boned-out thighs.  My copy of Modern French Culinary Art is not available right now, though.  It's buried somewhere in the garage.  I looked for you, but couldn't find it.  Maybe someone else has it.

Rice mos' def, not lentils. 

Flute the mushrooms.

BDL