composed cheese course help

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by toddlove8845, Oct 27, 2005.

1. toddlove8845

toddlove8845

Does anyone have any composed cheese courses on their menu? Like Thomas Kellers restaurant. If you have some cool ideas id love to hear them.

Thanks

2. ozarkrose

ozarkrose

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    So I went to Keller's website to see what "Composed" means ... no luck. Tell us more!

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    It's just some good cheeses artfully arranged with a few garnishes. Fruit, jams, sometimes meat confits, and bread or petite savory pastries. Normally served after dinner.

4. ozarkrose

ozarkrose

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Well golly gee, I guess we have one! Silly me, we just call it a cheese plate! I live in a smallish community that is unusual; some have travelled the world and some have never left town so after trial and error I have learned to highlight 1 or 2 cheeses then have standards (brie, camembert, cheddar, parm.) for comfort. For the highlights I choose medalists from ACS; people respond to "Blue Ribbon Winner ..." and they can remember it to request later. We're Italian so we stick with cured meats, but I get to have a little fun from there (I mean no one has ever questioned if puff pastry should be ther or not!). We serve it on a chilled, sealed marble tile. Looks great and sells well for all crowds.

5. danbrown

danbrown

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have a cheese plate on my menu that offers rotating imported and domestic artisan cheeses served with nuts (hazelnuts, almonds) dried fruits (white figs, tart cherries) marinated mixed olives and marinated roasted peppers. I also offer cured imported meats as an add on, and the plate does very well ($14 w/o meats, $20 with). I've been trying to rotate through different regions as the theme, and I always go cow, goat, sheep, or one blend, I also choose different textures of cheeses to keep it interesting. Colorado is producing some very nice cheeses, as are California, New Zealand, and the obvious choices (England, France, Italy). I've also got a composed plate on my wine dinner (check the food and wine pairing thread).

6. i8kimchee2

i8kimchee2

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I remember doing a roquefort blue ice cream with roasted figs and phyllo napoleon.
    A Bordeaux terrine with bordeaux grapes and Reblochon.
    A Point L'Eveque with purslane and marcona salad