Completely burnt out

Joined Feb 8, 2015
Thanks Billy. I hear what you are saying. This business is hard though because the word "challenge" or taking on a new job as a chef on land usually involves ridiculous hours and basically giving up your life for a job. I've taken over a kitchen nightmare before. I've worked for martyr chefs that give everything to the restaurant and get little in return. That's why I got into yachting. I appreciate what being a chef has given me and if you have read my past posts cooking is only a job for me. Nothing more, nothing less. Tell me what you like, I'll make it for you the best way I know how. There is a great satisfaction of pleasing people and as a yacht chef its on a much more personal level than a restaurant.(Sometimes good, sometimes bad). But I have seen chefs and their jobs drive them to divorce, addiction, bankruptcy, grey hair, ulcers, heart attacks, suicide, ect. The restaurant I took over running in the South Pacific. The previous chef went to the beach, swam out into the ocean and never came back, he left a note with his clothes on the beach. I was only told that after a month of being there!!! After 2 months I was starting to understand why he did what he did!!! (just joking)

Joined Jun 24, 2017
GL.. I feel the same way. Just with a shittier view. I've come to hate my job, the ppl I work with suck. BUT I still like cooking I guess. It's what I do. I'll do it until I can't. 6 more months and I'm leaving this gig. I'm basically giving them a year.

But I suck too. The system we all fall under eats at me daily. Drives me insane. My life feels like im in prison.

Hope u find an answer. I have mine, i just can't open the cell door. Not because I don't want to..... Family is first.....

Joined Jun 23, 2015
Hope you are not on a yacht in the Caribbean today. Stay safe we heard there is a storm out there.

Joined Feb 8, 2015
Hope you are not on a yacht in the Caribbean today. Stay safe we heard there is a storm out there.

On the yacht in Ft. Lauderdale. We took it out of the water and are going dead ship at noon. Gave away about 2 grand of meat and seafood yesterday. This one should be a fun one

Joined Feb 8, 2015
Starting to lose it. After 10 years in the Caribbean and 3rd world countries, I'm lost being in the States. The constant barrage of the media trying to sell you useless shit you don't need. Having insurance for everything. The news of hyping everything up just to make a headline?? I really don't know if I can last the next 3 months here.

Joined Dec 30, 2015
The key for me, is to not let the outside world dictate the inner me.
Good Stuff cheflayne. You are directing your mind (which is something you CAN control) not to worry about the outside stuff (that you CAN'T control.)

Some people do that naturally, others have to learn how to do it. Lots of ways to get there, "there" being relative peace of mind. The opposite of losing it.

Hooked, did you get a real medical exam yet? How bout phaedrus' excellent idea of quitting booze for a month. AA too. How about focusing on this constructive stuff while you are grounded - and these are things that you CAN control.

Joined Nov 27, 2012
For me building something does the trick when i wanna get my mind of something. Made a pizza oven from scratch last time, it looks like one at least. However it did clear my mind of distracting thoughts for a while and when stuff came back, somehow things made more sense the second time around.

Joined Apr 21, 2019
Hey bro, been a chef on yachts for the last 7 years and understand where you coming from. Good at my job and get paid well to travel and all the rest of it. The difference for my story is that i did most of the time with my girlfriend then we left and got married. tried Shore side its rubbish, you get done over for very little money and ridiculous hours. I still fly out and cook for guests 4 weeks here , 3 months there etc turn up do a great job but feels like empty victory and just over it. do the hours and take the cash and go back home. Not sure where to head shore side as going back to restaurants and hotels is bullocks but also dont want to spend long periods of time away from wife. Cant see my self on boats cant see my self off boats money wise either way getting sick of cooking and unsure of alternatives. Would be interested to see how you are now as this post is quite old, and feel like im in similar position.

Joined Feb 8, 2015
I'm good, sti
Hey bro, been a chef on yachts for the last 7 years and understand where you coming from. Good at my job and get paid well to travel and all the rest of it. The difference for my story is that i did most of the time with my girlfriend then we left and got married. tried Shore side its rubbish, you get done over for very little money and ridiculous hours. I still fly out and cook for guests 4 weeks here , 3 months there etc turn up do a great job but feels like empty victory and just over it. do the hours and take the cash and go back home. Not sure where to head shore side as going back to restaurants and hotels is bullocks but also dont want to spend long periods of time away from wife. Cant see my self on boats cant see my self off boats money wise either way getting sick of cooking and unsure of alternatives. Would be interested to see how you are now as this post is quite old, and feel like im in similar position.
I'm good, I was kind of banned for a bit on here for making some not nice comments about gluten people or vegans while consuming to many rum drinks, still kicking' still cooking, actually changed it up and worked the summer as a fly fishing guide in Alaska for the summer, took a long 3 month vacation n India, Nepal, Sri Lanka. Freelanced a month in Grand Cayman, took a month off in Panama, doing 3 weeks now in the Bahamas and after this job rented a place in Mexico for a month. Then work in Alaska for the summer. Guess I'm in a better place taking a lot of time on vacation in cheap places. Once you get used to yachts it's hard to go back to restaurants

Joined Apr 21, 2019
I'm good, sti

I'm good, I was kind of banned for a bit on here for making some not nice comments about gluten people or vegans while consuming to many rum drinks, still kicking' still cooking, actually changed it up and worked the summer as a fly fishing guide in Alaska for the summer, took a long 3 month vacation n India, Nepal, Sri Lanka. Freelanced a month in Grand Cayman, took a month off in Panama, doing 3 weeks now in the Bahamas and after this job rented a place in Mexico for a month. Then work in Alaska for the summer. Guess I'm in a better place taking a lot of time on vacation in cheap places. Once you get used to yachts it's hard to go back to restaurants

Ha yeah am just looking at restaurants at the moment, fairly shit after the boats when it comes to hours and pay etc. Just come back from 4 month trip down to Antartica. Enjoy the boats and getting paid to do some cool shit but cant do the time away from wife is too long. Had a lot of time off in the last 3 years waiting for a great idea to come along and be like awesome thats what i'm going to do, it didnt. Still dont know what im going to do but am working on other skills or shit that I enjoy, brewing beers etc and picking up other life skills. Good luck for the future make sure you invest the cash from the boats well and keep your options open.

Joined Jan 31, 2019
I feel it might be a good time for you to return to the USA, and get a job cooking at a nice small restaurant, cooking the type foods you enjoy cooking.

Last edited:
Joined Feb 8, 2015
I left the US 15 years ago. I prefer 3 rd world countries where rules, laws, and greed doesn't exist. And some times Police take 20 dollar bribe to avoid a situation compared to the police state of the US. Look at the dumb ass shows like live PD and cops, arresting people is a business deal in the US. Just not my cup of tea, fly to Mexico in 3 days

Joined Feb 8, 2015
My only true advice and there are people on this forum where it might have worked out. Don't buy a restaurant

Joined May 30, 2019
Burn out sucks but it's just a symptom of something else that is not working for you at this point in life. I had a crash memorial day weekend 2010. I was unmotivated and uninspired, my marriage was on the rocks and my best friend opted out of life, a tough time. After some soul searching I realized that all this life shit will never really change so I had to make a change on how I related to it all. This journey led me to meditation and mindfullness as a way of being. I've never really been religious or spiritual but have come to find peace from living my life and using my mind for the moment i'm in and not allowing it to wander in the past or the future (very hard to do). I know this may sound new age but it really does work. Check out Eckart Tolie's The Power of Now. I had to read this book a dozen times and have serious thinking sessions on the concepts he introduces before I even began to understand what the hell he was saying. Now, I have started to find myself in the "now" of life most of the time and when my mind stats to wander to the past (mistakes, failures) or the future (fear of failure) I have tools to pull me out an not go off "thinking" about the bull shit..

Joined Feb 8, 2015
There are a lot of things working in my head but this is a chef forum and not a mental health forum. We can keep the focus on food. If anything we all could chip in and just have a thread for "chefs issues" lol. I'm guessing my week is up there. Been I'n Mexico for a month now staying at a nice but cheap air bnb studio. The London girl came last week to visit before she has to fly out to her parents fishing lodge for the summer. I was supposed to go mid June. Catch her snooping through my phone, she has a plane ticket within the hour and my summer job is gone. Sometimes I make emotional decisions. So diving is big here, I'm a diver, done some crazy dives. They will take you diving with Crocs at night, 2 nights later I find myself in Mexico swimming on top shing Crocks eyes, then dropping fast to get below them and shine your light up to try and watch them. It rained the night before so the viz was about 6ft. The guide was scared so I was super scared. It was like( not like,was) being in a haunted house in dark water at night for 2 hours you would see them up top, drop down 20 ft, looking and see movement shoot away. Shining up down left right and below. It was the real deal, that was just 4 days last week, work on trying to find a chef psychologist, might be like finding a pet detective though!!!

Top Bottom