Communion Shots

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by shroomgirl, Sep 27, 2004.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Not to start a religious war.....I 'm looking for your input.
    The STL Friends of JAmes Beard Picnic was a week ago and I made "liquid apple pie" Caramel, Unpasturized cider, whipped cream and a cookie....I used communion plastic glasses....they are tiny!!! They tipped regularly even on a stationary tray....so this winter I'd like to offer it in my catering menus as part of the passed desserts. IS it offensive for it to be served in a communion tray designed to hold the cups? Not trying to be a heriatic

2. chef heather

chef heather

I don't know what a communion tray is. Is it something you'd need to take from a church to use for this purpose? If so, then I say no....don't use it. It would be disrespectful to some people I am sure. If it's just a cardboard holder type dealio..with holes in it for the little cups....who the h e l l's gonna know what it's really used for? If you can keep a secret, so can the cup holder. ;)

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    nope, high end catering :p ....no cardboard...I would purchase the ready made silver tray from the same supplier as the cups. OR make them larger which is not then a shooter and put them in shot glasses that are 2-3 x the size of the communion glasses.

4. henry

henry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    We don't do this as a "passed" item, but we do use (new) glass votive candle holders. Looks quite elegant on a stacked silver tiered stand, sometimes interspersed with lit votives in several of the holders.

We've also used the holders as a passed item with mini shrimp cocktails--some cocktail sauce in the glass, a huge shrimp perched on the rim, garnished with small orchids or fresh herbs and a lemon (rind) twist.

henry

5. chef heather

chef heather

Ah hah! Since you said the tray came from a supplier (and not from the rectory!) I would say that if you could guarantee that the tray was instantly recognizeable as a religious prop from church services, don't use it. If the supplier isn't strictly a religious accessory supplier, then go for it. Because those trays probably get used all the time in just the way you're thinking of. You *may* run the risk of having *someone* be offended...(in this day and age...just about anything can be deemed inappropriate) but you have the option of looking shocked, :eek: recoiling in horror.. :eek: ..and saying "I had no idea this is what the tray and cups were used for!", serving the rest of the apps :chef: and then leaving with a slight smirk on your lips. :p And then of course....never try to do it again. Hee hee. :cool:

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    If you think someone would be offended then you know of at least one very likely scenario where a person may be offended. If you can think that it offends don't do it.

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    unsure that's why there's the question.....

8. chef heather

chef heather

With that thinking, a great percentage of the world's greatest foods and recipes and treatments of foods would be obliterated! ;) Think of the first person who dared to eat a TOMATO in front of people who thought tomatoes were....evil! :eek: To get back to the trays...it's a friggin' tray. Don't sweat it. The chances of someone recognizing it from a religious service is next to zero. And if someone gives you any flack, Shroom...just ask them:

"Doesn't the lord want you to be happy?...then EAT, (PAPA)...EAT!!!" :p

9. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The only definitive answer to this question will be the one you get from those people served. The simple answer is that nothing's offensive. The real question is whether it's offensive or not to the parties involved. If you don't know, just ask. Don't ask me, don't ask someone who takes communion, ask your customers, the people you're serving.

10. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    That's what I've done.....interestingly the Wash U party said forget it, the ACLU is unsure but probably no....wondered if it was widespread or just here in the mid-west.....and your thoughts.....I will always ask rather than risking a faux pas, my clients are too valuable to lose. but a hip new dessert is pretty cool!!!!

11. t.haws

t.haws

I would forgo wearing the habit or any liturgical fashion ;) and no signs of the cross. Go in peace...