Common bonuses?

Joined Oct 25, 2021
As executive chefs/restuarant GMs, what do you currently receive bonuses for?

I'm currently in school to get my associate's in food and beverage management, and I'm taking a hospitality HR class. Recently, we were talking about compensation and benefits, and my teacher, who's been a hotel GM since the Civil War, explained that he's always been bonused on net income. I'm not too concerned with hotels, but I am curious about the types of bonuses received on the food and beverage side.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Well, you can see on Glassdoor . com. Olive Garden GM makes an average of $55k with an average of $5k in bonus. Whether that's good or bad for you depends on you. ;)

Joined Aug 21, 2004
My experience has been that hitting the numbers resulted in the bonus that I got to keep my job. :~)
My wife reminded me that this isn't always the case.

One time I was brought in as Exec Chef. I accomplished everything they wanted. Rolled out and trained staff on new menus for main dining and all outlets. Did several media appearances. Won a professional chef cook off they entered me in that was sponsored by the tourist board and convention center. A local buzz about the place was starting to happen. Got the local food critic to come back in after he swore he would never set foot in the place again. Received a very favorable review. Hit all the numbers the crunchers had forecast.

The result of all this blood sweat and tears was that my position as Exec Chef was then eliminated in an "economic" downsizing. Hindsight tells me that had no intentions of keeping me when they hired me. They hired me to accomplish a set agenda, with no eye beyond that agenda.

Joined Aug 22, 2021
My wife reminded me that this isn't always the case.

One time I was brought in as Exec Chef. I accomplished everything they wanted. Rolled out and trained staff on new menus for main dining and all outlets. Did several media appearances. Won a professional chef cook off they entered me in that was sponsored by the tourist board and convention center. A local buzz about the place was starting to happen. Got the local food critic to come back in after he swore he would never set foot in the place again. Received a very favorable review. Hit all the numbers the crunchers had forecast.

The result of all this blood sweat and tears was that my position as Exec Chef was then eliminated in an "economic" downsizing. Hindsight tells me that had no intentions of keeping me when they hired me. They hired me to accomplish a set agenda, with no eye beyond that agenda.
Lesson learned:

You must charge you market value, you must know this value and you must trust yourself to ask for it confidently.

Joined Oct 4, 2021
As executive chefs/restuarant GMs, what do you currently receive bonuses for?

I'm currently in school to get my associate's in food and beverage management, and I'm taking a hospitality HR class. Recently, we were talking about compensation and benefits, and my teacher, who's been a hotel GM since the Civil War, explained that he's always been bonused on net income. I'm not too concerned with hotels, but I am curious about the types of bonuses received on the food and beverage side.
There are a lot of carrot and stick bonus schemes out there and it is honestly experience that will help you spot them. Some of the best I have worked with involve monthly audits that will check everything from labour, food cost, inventory control and general cleanliness of the kitchen.

All these areas are checked and rated on a point system and unless you can hit a certain amount of points there are no bonuses, this might sound harsh but it is actually quite balanced, you can't make the bonus by cutting labour too much and then the kitchen will not meet the hygiene standard.

all these points need to be transparent and attainable by good management and the tools must be made avaiaible to be able to meet them, also coaching must be given after each audit to help guide the chef on where to improve.

In the staffing situation we now find ourselves in I might add a staff feedback element to the mix, set up some kind of anonymous survey monkey type questionnaire to get staff opinions on the general health of the business, it could be a great big BS landmine but you might find something useful.

Top Bottom