Commercial use of Scotch Eggs

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by Spencer Churchill, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Spencer Churchill

Spencer Churchill

Exp:
    General Manager/Interim Chef
    Big scotch egg fan here.

My family and I own an upscale brewpub in Northern Wisconsin, and we are looking to run Scotch Eggs as a reoccurring app. special. We opened about 10 months ago and have recently let our Chef go due to some management difficulties, this puts me, as the GM, at the helm of the kitchen as well. I'm quite savvy in the kitchen so it's not too bothersome.

Anyway, I've locked in a recipe that I'm quite fond of, however, without running my own trial and error and burning through product, I'm wondering if anyone can shed some insight on how to best keep these products. Do they need to be made fresh everyday? Can we store them in bulk? Shelf life? Freezing the product? Honestly, anything anyone has to offer would be helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2019
  2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Since they are not on the menu already, why not a bit of experimenting? No need to waste a lot of product but three or four eggs would not be a big expense.
    Eggs are hardboiled to start with so you could do a lot of those at one time and store them in a seasoned brine.
    Start with rolling a couple in sausage, wrap and freeze. I'm sure the sausage would be fine so I'd be looking to see how the egg holds up. Then thaw, roll in breadcrumbs and cook.
    Alternatively, you could portion out the sausage and leave flattened in pre roll form so you could have the eggs ready in the brine, thaw sausage so many at a time per day, then wrap the egg and breadcrumb to order.
    And of course you could make a couple breaded and then freeze just to see if how it works. My concern with this would be how to know the egg is completely thawed and that the breading might not be in the best shape after freezing.
    I'm sure some one will come along with a better answer but that's a start.

3. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Upscale restaurant, upscale way to do SE is liquid yoke. Boil refrigerated large eggs for exactly 6 minutes, in enough water to keep a rolling boil, then immerse immediately in icewater. You'll have fully congealed whites and all liquid yoke. Quite voluptuous effect when you cut it open.

Consider this discussion also:
    https://cheftalk.com/threads/cube-shaped-soft-boiled-eggs.103108/#post-596270

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Have you ever seen an inside out Scotch Egg? The best I can guess is they salted and cured egg yolk, cooked sausage, set inside cooked formed egg white, then tempura batter fried?

rick alan likes this.
  5. frankie007

frankie007

Exp:
    professional chef over 20 years
    Scotch egg yolk HAS to be runny, over here only the supermarket ones are hard boiled. Usually they are made with sausage meat, which has a high salt content and some preservatives hence longer fridge life. You can make them with minced pork which you will have to season and then regular shelf life will apply. i have seen them done with black pudding as well which is quite a good as black pudding is cooked already hence longer life.

6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Here in Wisconsin, especially Northern Wisconsin, I think you would turn a lot of people off with runny yolks. While I prefer them that way, I am also not "from" Wisconsin. I just live here. As others have said, do some experiments. I would probably prep enough for 3 days (day made + 2). I don't know that I would want to hold them longer than that.

phaedrus likes this.