Commercial selling horse meat, ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by robbytchef26, Dec 28, 2011.

1. robbytchef26

robbytchef26

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    A friend from college sent me this video out of Oregon:

So, is this some kind of joke or what? Regardless, the topic alone is altogether gross

2. cookers

cookers

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    It became legal this year to sell in the United States again after a 5 year ban

3. wunderbier

wunderbier

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I remember seeing horse cold cuts for the first time in the Netherlands. Odd, but not gross. I've cleaned more horse tenderloins than I care to think about. Total PITA product; the meat is really soft, requiring more finesse and a sharper knife than beef or pork (I've dealt with Mexican and Finnish horse meat, fwiw.) Always seems to come with a load of myoglobin to be drained away too. I've no qualms with it, but I've never gotten around to tasting it somehow. I don't think horses are raised specifically for meat btw, just slaughtered when they're not otherwise economically valuable. I would imagine it's a better life than most cows, pigs or chickens get.

4. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Years ago when my husband and I started dating (his parents are Dutch immigrants) they had horse meat on the table at lunchtime.  They wouldn't tell me what it was, but just that it was a Dutch delicacy, so I gave it a try.  It was ok... a bit too salty for my taste but otherwise ok.  Then they told me it was horse and I was really surprised.  I still ate it knowing what it was, but it's something I wouldn't go out of my way to buy.