Commercial Kitchens

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by hcmalon77, Aug 29, 2005.

1. hcmalon77

hcmalon77

Do any of you run a commercial kitchen for the purpose fo delivering meals to families and such? Just curious to see how it runs for you, if you like it or not? Hopefully this isn't a silly question, tried talking about this in other forums and it seems like nobody can give you their honest opinion without shoving down your throat that you need to join their group, for a ridiculous amount of money. Thanks to all! :D

2. mikefly

mikefly

ive never personaly delt with this type of set up but i have a freind that worked for a place called "steak 2 u" in norfolk ne and i used to order from them alot it was great being able to order a steak and potato and have it delivered hot and fresh!!!
    you will have to take a look at your population and make sure you have money for advertising and put out a great product!!
    i do belive that steak 2 u closed but it wasnt from lack of buisness it was a messy divorce....
    good luck and i hope it was a bit of help

3. ricib

ricib

For $50 our group can tell you how...

honestly, do you mean that you are actually only going to use the commercial kitchen for family meals? Maybe I'm missing something here. Commercial kitchens are great, for catering and such, but for meal delivery to families and freinds? I'm not getting something, i think.

4. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    I worked in a shared commercial kitchen for a while, someoned owned the kitchen and during a transition period the chef who was training me rented it out in conjunction with two other cooks, one of them making meals for families. It worked out pretty well, and as time went on (as it does in all professional kitchens) we worked out the dance. The gal that was doing food for families was a real energetic, lovely young and talented cook who was doing it because it made her happy -- and she had financial backing. It seemed to work for her because she put so much of her energy into it, and had a couple of great prep guys too!

I don't know if you are talking about cooking for underprivaleged families or just making family meals to deliver and make a profit from it though....

5. liv4fud

liv4fud

heather, do u mean like they show where @home caterers rent out a kitchen for making huge meals not manageable at homes?

6. nentony

nentony

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Someone is doing that around here. They make a weeks worth of dinners for a family or individual, package them in appropriate serving sizes and freeze. The custumer can just heat & eat a good healthy meal. Great for busy (or lazy) people. They appear to be doing well.

Tony

7. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I know of somebody in the next town up that is renting a hamberger drive-in that shut down. He does meals for families and catering. In the past year I've watched him grow, just by looking at the number of vans now parked in front of his place. The next time I'm up that way I'll stop by and get his name(and also try to sell him some desserts, of course).

8. hcmalon77

hcmalon77

This is what I am planning on doing. :lips:

9. hcmalon77

hcmalon77

That'd be great, can you please let me know what you find out? Especially if he doesn't mind giving you a ballpark of what rent is....thanks!