Coming up with an exams menu.....would you like to think along?

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by soesje, Jul 28, 2013.

1. soesje

soesje

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Int two months time I have my exams as culinary student grade 2.

At my school (netherlands where I live) I may come up with my own menu.

I'd love to make a classical french, but not too complicated (not too simple either!) menu of three courses.

We have to think out the plating layout etc too.

I have not yet decided what to make for the menu, my  thoughts still are going back and forth.

I like patisserie so I am relatively easy at the dessert , maybe a personal interpretation of a classical dish.

(for example, last week did something like that with peach melba)

the hardest to come up with for me is the starter.

for main I think am going to do entrecote or ribeye with bearnaise.  sides undecided yet.

or maybe a red wine sauce and a potato gratin?

so if you like classical french food (think escoffier) what would YOU suggest? :) 

2. mrmexico25

mrmexico25

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Pardon my ignorance, or neivity, but are you asking us to help you cheat your college?

3. soesje

soesje

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    absolutely not!!! at our college we are free to come up with an menu of ourselves and I was just looking for some more inspiration and thought to ask fellow students, just to see what they would come up with.

I have a temporary menu by now by the way and still have some time to make changes.

but nevermind........am already sorry I asked

there is no cheating in any way.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  4. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Hi Soesje,

Dag !

For a starter what about :  Bay Scallops Crudo : Placed in a  circle drizzle of horseradish cream sauce and a thin line of parlsey oil around the outside perimeter. Garnish with daikon sprouts, caviar and a segment of pomelo.

Or switch the sauce for something citrus, keeping it always vibrant in color.

keena likes this.
  5. soesje

soesje

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    meanwhile I have made up a temporary menu ..... my chef liked it.

the only thing we had to take into account was three courses for 2 people in three hours.

our teacher wants us to "keep it simple" but for me, this is simple, otherwise want to show what I am able to do, too.

this level was really a breeze for me to do (takes one year and finish already within 9 months).

scallops with vanilla, on a bed of caramellized chicoree leaves, with a carrot and ginger jus.

fillet of duck with a port thyme sauce, served on a parsnip mousseline with autumn vegs

pear poached in orange juice with cardemom, saffran, honey, with a chai tea bavaroise.  caramel tuille.

6. skipstrr

skipstrr

Exp:
    Professional Chef

7. mrmexico25

mrmexico25

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I I dunno. Just seemed to defeat the purpose.

Her menu she made sounds great btw...