Come as you are party: what did you REALLY eat for dinner last night?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by siduri, Aug 16, 2012.

1. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Curious what you wonderful cooks do when it's late, you're tired and you have to make something very quick and easy for dinner. 

Last night i had cereal!

2. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Half can of jurel with a piece of humid bread. A difficult day yesterday. Picks would be depressing.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  3. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welsh rarebit or just toast!

4. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Well, some days I am a bit lazy and just root around in the deep freeze chest or 'fridge for some leftovers and it's a 'mixed plate night'.  In Hawaii it's not unusual to have a plate of a little of this and a little of that, whatever you have on hand, nothing goes to waste!  I tell my husband, "eat it now, or you'll see it again on your plate tomorrow!"

Last night was 'the kitchen sink salad'...

a half of a handful each of:

Romaine lettuce

fresh sweet red peppers

tomatoes

green onions

cucumbers

grilled chicken thighs

soppressata

swiss cheese

radishes

olives

and a couple of anchovies on top for a flourish

5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Croque monsieurs (buttered slices toast bread, slice of ham, slice of cheese) - in the toaster oven. 

6. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    lqtm, so a toasted ham&cheese sammie?  just fancied up?

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    That's it! Quick and yummy. If I have an extra 5mn I serve it with a simple green salad with garlic vinaigrette. 

8. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What! No tomato soup? Whatever is the world coming to??? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

9. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm unemployed again and have thought for a minute or two what it might be like to have a little street corner food cart doing grilled cheese and soup.  I should do some serious research into what such a venture would require...

mjb.

kimmit likes this.
  10. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Fried rice if there is some left over, otherwise noodle-stir fry with whatever else I can find in the fridge.

Normally I have some pre-made meals in the freezer (made by me), so that's another option

11. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    RESERVATIONS!!

DH is taking me out tonight,

only because I mentioned that I make 3 meals a day, everyday

AND don’t get paid for it!

12. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My wife brought home some leftover turkey sandwiches from a conference at work, I made a box of mac and cheese for the side.

mjb.

13. statscook

statscook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    hotdogs served on toast... gotta love college life

14. chefhow

chefhow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dark meat chicken bites with Mac and Cheese and Peas, my son picked and helped me cook dinner.

15. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    For God's sake, yesterday lunch i went to a MacDonalds with some young people and ordered a simple Burguer with cheese. What a horrible food by any standard. How is it possible this is the big company it is? BS. The meat tasted boiled, bread was humid. A total lack of care for the consumer. 

16. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I rubbed some bone in pork chops then grilled them slow.  After resting I shredded the meat for tacos.  I made a quickie mango/pineapple salsa to go with it.  Yeah - it was really good - the meat was flavored well and very tender.

17. chefhow

chefhow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yesterday was spent doing everything I didnt get to do during the week so it was a night out.  My wife wanted to go see some friends (she was a GM for Chili's) so off the Chili's we went for dinner, I had Baby Back Ribs and they were pretty good.

18. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'd think that would work extremely well seasonally. Depending on where you live.. on a really hot day I DO NOT want a hot soup and grilled cheese. However.. when Fall winds start blowing and we get a nip in the air.. you'd make a killing if you can get in the right traffic areas.

19. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I did a quick lunch for an unexpected guest - well i knew a couple of hours earlier so i could buy the mozzarella and tomatoes at the market

pasta with caprese- mozzarella di bufala campana, datteri tomatoes (small, longish, and very sweet "dattero" means date - they're about the size of dates) and an avocado i had in the fridge - made a pesto in the mortar so there would be little pieces of basil and it doesn;t come creamy - with basil, salt, pepper and a little garlic.  My daughter and her husband and child are here for a couple of weeks, and her friend came by today.  It was a great meal for 5 plus one child.  The second is only 4 months, so she'll have to wait a few hours for her mother to assimilate the caprese. 

In total, 10 minutes work to cut the tomatoes and make the pesto - while the pasta water boiled and the pasta cooked. 

wonderful

I try to console myself in these weeks of over 100 degree heat with the fact that the raw materials we have here are so good. 

Maybe i can get an air conditioner for next year - maybe in installments? 

20. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    We grind our own burger meat (brisket... is lean and has so much flavor).

Found it on sale for about $2/lb, it had a great fat/meat ratio so didn't have much waste.

A bit leaner than chuck and ended up costing about $1.60/lb.

Vacuum packed all but a few lbs and made the rest into burgers for supper.

Seasoned meat simply with only salt, pepper and a touch of garlic powder.

Got a good sear in the cast iron skillet then added a bit of butter to the pan to finish off cooking to a nice medium.

Discarded most of the drippings (wasn't much) then toasted some nice buns.

Perfectly ripe tomato, a bit of lettuce, chopped Texas 1015 onion, dill pickle chips and dressing of choice ( none for me, the meat was plenty juicy).

Dessert was a fruit bowl of fresh cherries, black grapes, peaches and watermelon.

I love summer!