Combi oven for home use

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by Ben Feng, Oct 30, 2017.

1. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    How does changing from NG to propane affect the power requirements?? I think you better check that again. And it's almost impossible to get a 3 phase service to a residence even if it's only a few feet away on the street. Power companies won't do it.

EDIT: Or are you saying that you chose a NG fired oven over electric because the electric requires 3 phase, gas requires single phase?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  2. Chojinchef

Chojinchef

Exp:
    Lots
    The latter. Guess I was not writing clearly enough, apologies.
    Chose the gas option over electric due to that 3 phase power requirement. My municipality suggested the power phase converter as that is what my neighbor uses to power his machine shop equipment, but that’s an income producing venture rather than a culinary toy.

3. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Any phase converter that you could afford produces psudo-3 phase. You can get away with one (really as a last resort) to power 3 phase motors when all you have is single phase power and the alternative of replacing the motor is not practical or possible. But for heating loads controlled by electronics like your rather expensive oven it would not be something I would want to try, especially when an alternative was available.

4. tony brewin

tony brewin

Exp:
    Professional Chef

5. tony brewin

tony brewin

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We are also having our home kitchen re built. I also wanted, indeed have placed order for a Rational SCC XS. That said, it looks and is commercial for a domestic kitchen. Regardless of how “hard core chef” one is, it is home. Anyhow, I have placed order for a SINGLE PHASE Rational XS with the ultra vent plus hood. But, rather than it be in the new kitchen, I’m having it fitted in another small room we have adjacent to main kitchen. Also controllable and moniterable from mobile phone as it will be connected via a LAN port to home WI FI and my mobile phone. We have additional oven built in “The new kitchen” Our old kitchen is taken out next week and new build starts straight away. So, yes I’ve bought the Rational XS. With the hood for it but, I don’t think the “look is right for home” hence I’m having it fitted in a near by room. Also have the Rational stand to put it on.

Pat Pat likes this.
  6. Dave_Bolder

Dave_Bolder

Exp:
    6 Years
    I have been using combi ovens during my whole career, I used all the brands you could ever think of, but the only brand that I used and was reliable like nothing else in the market was "Rational Combi Ovens" its German made and one of the best brands in the market today, and they come in many different sizes, in LGP/Natrural Gas or electric, I think the smallest size they do is 6 Tray combi which I think will be ideal for you as it mostly used in small cafes, so it would be just perfect for your home.

It has self cleaning feature that makes the whole experience better for you, I have used this brand for years and I can't recommend any other brand to be honest.

I hope my answer helps. Let me know if you have any questions please.

Thank you

7. Jojoy

Jojoy

Exp:
    home cook
    I keep reading and rereading these posts about installing a Rational oven in a home kitchen. Thank you all for describing your experiences! Could you please give me some further advice?
    For the past year, I have been dreaming of installing a professional oven in my home kitchen and am wondering if the Rational SCC 61 would be too big. I also always have been wishing for 2 ovens, so that I could roast meat and/or vegetables, say with onions or garlic, and bake a cake or a dessert at the same time. We are now about to completely renovate our kitchen, and this would be my chance to go for it.
    I use my normal Bosch oven nearly everyday for baking, roasting, grilling, more than most home cooks. We are a family of 6, and often have visitors, and for most holidays and special events, I cook for 20-30 people, on average. My Bosch definitely does not perform like it used to, and I spend hours baking in small batches because I don't trust my oven to bake evenly when I need to use more than 1 or 2 racks, depending on what I'm baking. I also often feel that this 60 cm oven is too small, although there are also times when I only bake 1 loaf of bread, or a single tray of bread rolls.
    I have been thinking of the Rational XS, but I wonder if I could roast 2 turkeys or 2 geese at a time in the XS oven? A couple of years ago, I managed 2 turkeys by using my neighbour's oven, as well as my own. But that isn't always an option for me, and we no longer live near those friends.
    Considering my needs and desires, does it sound reasonable to install 2 ovens -- a Rational XS and a 90 cm domestic oven, such as an Ilve or Miele?
    Or would it make more sense to have just a Rational 61? Or Rational 61 and domestic 60 cm oven?
    Any thoughts or advice on these matters would be greatly appreciated!!

8. Cosmozz

Cosmozz

Exp:
    Home cook (obsessed /passionate)

Hello Gastrophysics,

I'm very very very interested in installing a rational xs in my kitchen but i have limited space for it.
    My local dealer doesn't have the wall mount on stock so I don't know the full depth of the oven.

Can you help me out with full depth in cm/inches from the wall to the front of the handle?
    Really trying to squeeze this into my kitchen.
    I would be forever grateful

9. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  10. Gastrophysics

Gastrophysics

Exp:
    Home cook
    Just checked - from the wall to the tip of the handle adds upp to 71 cm. The handle is 7 cm deep so 64 cm from the wall to the oven front.

Its a lot, the wall mount tubing is 4 cm thick and there is an additional 4.5 cm air between the mount and the oven. But all that is necessary to make room for the pipe connections. I don't think there is much flexibility in how the oven is placed on the mount.

Good luck!

Cosmozz likes this.
  11. Cosmozz

Cosmozz

Exp:
    Home cook (obsessed /passionate)
    Thank you for the quick response.
    I CAN DO IT!! I have 75 cm. Thank you thank you thank you! (I have 75 cm to the outer edge of a door)
    I will arrange water connection and waste through the wall.
    Again thank you for assisting me with this.