Color for Tzatziki sauce

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mike g, Nov 23, 2016.

1. mike g

mike g

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Hi

I am wondering if I can add a bit off tumeric to Tzatziki sauce to color it? I have a very specific look i want yhe plate to looj and white does not do it.

Thanks

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Turmeric or saffron diluted in the acid (lemon juice or vinegar) should do the trick.  But beware this will change the taste too.

3. mike g

mike g

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Will it taste good?

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I don't know. I would never do that to my tzatziki, I like it as is.

5. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    For the amount you need to color tzatziki, you probably wouldn't notice the flavor. But I also would choose a different plate to the let the tzatziki just be what it is. 

If you're willing to tilt the flavor for it's own purpose, then you have a few other options to consider.

Saffron--this is not out of place in a meal that would include tzatziki, but will bring it's own flavor into play.  Depends a bit what you're serving this with to choose saffron. 

Achiote oil-- annato seeds toasted in Olive Oil. You'll get the olive oil flavor as well as some vegetal tones from the annato as well as a striking color.   http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/achiote-oil  AGain, you'll have to judge the flavor shift with what you're intending to serve. This is milder than saffron would be imho. 

6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Obviously experimentation is key, but I think he will notice the flavor change. You don't need much saffron or turmeric to start noticing the flavor. And I personally cannot wrap my mind around saffron- or turmeric-tzatziki, but then again I don't know what kind of plate of food is being built. 

7. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I like the saffron idea over the turmeric. Can you post some photos of the finished product?

8. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    Aji Amarillo. A peruvian spice. It would work great. It is kind of like a yellow/amber paprika. It Does pack a little heat though

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    french fries likes this.