Color for Tzatziki sauce

Joined Nov 23, 2016
Hi

I am wondering if I can add a bit off tumeric to Tzatziki sauce to color it? I have a very specific look i want yhe plate to looj and white does not do it.

Thanks

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Turmeric or saffron diluted in the acid (lemon juice or vinegar) should do the trick.  But beware this will change the taste too.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
For the amount you need to color tzatziki, you probably wouldn't notice the flavor. But I also would choose a different plate to the let the tzatziki just be what it is. 

If you're willing to tilt the flavor for it's own purpose, then you have a few other options to consider.

Saffron--this is not out of place in a meal that would include tzatziki, but will bring it's own flavor into play.  Depends a bit what you're serving this with to choose saffron. 

Achiote oil-- annato seeds toasted in Olive Oil. You'll get the olive oil flavor as well as some vegetal tones from the annato as well as a striking color.   http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/achiote-oil  AGain, you'll have to judge the flavor shift with what you're intending to serve. This is milder than saffron would be imho. 

Joined Sep 5, 2008

For the amount you need to color tzatziki, you probably wouldn't notice the flavor. 
Obviously experimentation is key, but I think he will notice the flavor change. You don't need much saffron or turmeric to start noticing the flavor. And I personally cannot wrap my mind around saffron- or turmeric-tzatziki, but then again I don't know what kind of plate of food is being built. 

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Sponsor
Joined Oct 5, 2001
I like the saffron idea over the turmeric. Can you post some photos of the finished product?

Joined Apr 25, 2011
Aji Amarillo. A peruvian spice. It would work great. It is kind of like a yellow/amber paprika. It Does pack a little heat though

Last edited:
Top Bottom