Colonial cooking

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by pete, Sep 19, 2000.

1. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I need everyone's help. I am looking for information on cooking in Colonial America. I am looking for recipes, techniques, etc. I have also heard of some places that offer classes on hearthside cooking. Any ideas or information would be very helpful. Thanks!!

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    What are you up to Pete? How big a group adn what are your limitations?

3. cookm

cookm

Pete, don't quote me on this, but I believe I saw some kind of Time-Life book that alludes to the subject at hand. I hope there really is such a book!

4. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    shroomgirl, Im not up to anything really. Just very interested in the history of food in this country and am fascinated by early styles of cooking. Some day, also, I want to open an inn in New England and think it would be fun to offer demos on cooking in colonial times on a hearth.

5. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Pete,

I want to say that Colonial Williamsburg actually does a class of sorts on colonial cooking. I know they have plenty of books on the subject. I know that at one point in North Carolina there was a special interest group that did a class on colonial cooking at one of our yuppie type grocery stores. Anything like that your way?

Good luck and happy cooking!

lynne

6. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Funny you should mention Colonial Williamsburg, Lynne. I have a reproduction colonial cookbook we bought years ago in Williamsburg. Had some interesting recipes in it. I think SOAR may have something, too. Pete, if you want me to search for anything in particular, I can scan and e-mail whatever you want.

7. lynne

lynne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Surfing the boobtube tonight and Food Channel's "Best of" was featuring a Colonial Cooking restaurant in Philly called City Tavern.iomething was said that all menu items had to be approved as period-appropriate. A couple of their recipes are on the foodtv.com site tonight. I checked, City Tavern has a web site at www.citytavern.com with menus and their cookbook info. Hope this helps-

8. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    You are brave....I'm ok on an open fire but a firplace and serious meals.....
    Bread has got to be tricky, kettles of stew,
    roasting meats, maintaining any kind of consistant heat. We have groups that recreate the Civil War here ....possibly there are some in the East that go back further in time.....
    Sounds like an interesting challenge.

9. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Walter Staib is the proprietor of the City Tavern mentioned above. He is well regarded around here for his colonial stylings. There is a book that he has penned called City Tavern. There is a also a book published in the early 80s called American Food by Evan Jones. At last look, there were several copies on eBay going for around $4.
    Good luck...

10. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks for the help everyone. I have heard of City Tavern before and it is worth checking into (I had forgotten about that place). I will also check into Williamsburg. Shroomgirl, cooking with live fire really fascinates me (maybe because I am a pyro at heart). I have worked with wood burning grills for many years and I love them. They are so much better than gas grills. I have done a lot of whitewater rafting and was always surprised by the great food the guides prepare using mostly campfires. Learning about hearthside cooking is the next logical step for me, especially with wanting to own an inn in New England (by the way, anyone know of any investors who want to spend a few $100,000 LOL). Besides I need a new challenge in my life. I am bored with the place I am at now and need something new to occupy my mind.

11. unichef

unichef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Food in History by Reay Tannahill also has a lot of History about the development of cooking and food in early America.

-Mike