Cole Slaw for fish tacos

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by fl italian, Apr 30, 2011.

1. fl italian

fl italian

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I am going to be making fish tacos tonight and wanted to use a "tropical" feel cole slaw. My thoughts are some coconut, pineapple, cabbage (most important.. ha, ha), mayonnaise, carrot..However, I was thinking of replacing the vinegar with a citrus juice like lemon or orange?Anyone out there have a great slaw recipe for this? I'm seeing the recipes all over the map so I'm trying to find one that fits the dish well.Thanks!

2. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello Fl Chef, I would think a person from Florida would make a Mango salsa, with a red cabbage slaw, Chipolte Crema, Guac..................Take care buddy..................

3. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    FLItalian - you are on the right path and Chef BillyB finished it with the mention of mango.  The only thing I would add to your concept is using coconut milk and pineapple juice in your wet mix.  I know you mentioned coconut and pineapple but I think you were referring to solids.

My tropical slaw: red cabbage, carrot, mango, mayo, coconut milk, cider vinegar, pineapple juice, nutmeg (sometimes sub raisins for mango) s&p to taste

However like Chef BillyB first stated mango salsa.  I use mango, red onion, red bell pepper, jalepeno, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, and honey.  That makes an awesome fresh dolphin taco topping.

Hoff

4. fl italian

fl italian

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks guys!!Those were the answers I was looking for. I like the idea of the mango.Billy B.. was going to call you but it was too early :)

5. fl italian

fl italian

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Just to follow up...

I took the best of all of you and made it with red cabbage, chopped fresh mango & pineapple, added golden raisins, carrot shreds and shredded coconut.

I took the juice of a lime, some pineapple and orange juice along with a bit of mayo to make the vinaigrette.   It was outstanding; sweet but just right for the fish.  

When the wife has seconds JUST of the cole slaw (which she doesn't like BTW), you know you nailed it!!!

6. bodhran1965

bodhran1965

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi there, my preference would be a lemon/fennel slaw. You could add some orange zest for more citrus flavour.Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2015
  7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Oh yes shaved fennel sounds like a wonderful alternative!

8. fl italian

fl italian

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Fennel does sound good to ME.... the wife HATES fennel... so you know which we are NOT using in the recipe /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif