Cold Springroll Wraps....

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by aprilb, May 17, 2006.

1. aprilb

aprilb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm having a hard time finding those wonderful transparent springroll wraps that I've used for cold apps.

I've got access to all kinds of typical eggroll wraps (that they also say can be used for springrolls, but only the fried/steamed types)

Are they now called something else or anyone have any ideas?

The type I need is more like a variation of rice noodles as compared to a potsticker/wonton skin.

I've got some apps that I want to try with asparagus and fresh basil but don't want to steam or deepfry.

Thanks

April

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The Vietnamese grocer is your friend. :)

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You are looking for rice paper. They usually come round, though I have seen rectangle. They are are a dried item, usually found in the noodle section of an Asian grocer.

4. aprilb

aprilb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks guys.

I'll have to save it for my next trip to Vegas. Right now we're between Nowhere and the middle of Nowhere.

A*

5. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Have you ever ordered from these guys? Somebody here told us about them years ago -- they have replacement blades for Benriner mandolines -- and they seem to have good stuff at reasonable prices.

6. nowiamone

nowiamone

These are my app special this week, with King Crab, jimca, green onions, carrots, cukes, red bells, mint, cilantro, basil and chopped pistachos. They are flying out of the door!