Cold brew coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Jun 25, 2017.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've been reading about making cold brew coffee and would love your input.  I myself am not a cold coffee drinker, my husband is and I got him a cold brew coffee maker (just a jar with a filter basically) for father's day.  I'm just getting around to using it today and I thought I'd ask around about it.  I'm reading that I can just leave the coffee to brew at room temperature overnight.  It's pretty warm here in the summer time and we turn off the AC at night except for the bedroom.  Is it ok to cold brew in a warm 85degree room or will the job be done just as well in the refrigerator?  Will the refrigeration affect the cold brew process?

I've also read that cold brewing doesn't necessarily mean cold coffee.  Some people brew their coffee cold over night and then warm it up to drink it.  Supposedly this cuts down on the acidity of the coffee which would be very helpful to me as I suffer with with acid reflux and my doc lectures me to eliminate my treasured single cup of coffee that I drink in the morning.

Also, how long does cold brew coffee last in the fridge? Any safety factors involved?

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Several places around here are promoting cold coffee. One had an enormous drip system that resembled an hourglass, the top filled with water, the center with the grounds and fresh coffee in the bottom.  

So the essential idea is exactly what you think. Coffee grounds in room temp water, left overnight. As standard coffee making extracts the flavor, etc. from the beans using hot water but very quickly,  the cold brew system is just recognition that much of the flavor elements are water soluble and can be extracted with cold water if you give it enough time. 

So 85 degrees should be fine. The colder temp of the frig would slow down the process a bit so a longer time will be needed but overnight on the counter should be long enough. 

Depending on how much the maker produces, put the remainder in the frig. 

The coffee will last for a day or two or three in the frig but I would think your husband would have drunk it by then and would need a fresh batch. So I don't see any safety concerns. 

The cold process doesn't dissolve as many of the bitter elements so the brew is much smoother. 

I'd be doing it if I had that much patience but I do like the idea of having fresh coffee ready to go on a hot summer morning. I may have to work out the details.

meezenplaz likes this.
  3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Chef writer' s posting is exactly my experience with homemade cold brew coffee... right down to not knowing the maximum holding time because mine gets drunk soon after brewing too. The type of bean has a big impact on the final product so try different beans to find what you like best.

4. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    We drink cold coffee all the time in the summer--hot coffee in the heat makes me sweat profusely. I never make it cold "from scratch" --I tried it a few times, but felt it wasn't pulling the flavor from the grounds--even overnight in the fridge. And I wont leave it at room temp for a day either....yucky. IMHO you need heat to make coffee.

So here's how I make it...

I heat a half cup of water to 180F or so--HOT not boiling. (and in the nuker a half a cup only takes 1 to 2 mins) While that's heating I deposit 2 to 3 scoops (double to triple normal strength) of good coffee into a French Press. Pour the hot water over the grounds, allow to steep a minute or two, then fill with water. Press, and decanter into a 2 qt pitcher, finish filling with water, place in fridge.

It's simple and fast. Sounds complex, but then so does screwing in a light bulb when you actually describe it in detail.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yea that's how I make coffee every day but I'm asking about cold brewing.

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Just a follow up, I've started cold brewing my coffee for the past coupe of weeks. I make it the same way I always do, in my french press but instead of hot water I use room temp filtered water. I cover the top with cling film and leave it over night for 12-15hrs. In the morning I stir and press the coffee and pour it in my cup, then place the cup in the microwave to heat it up.

Flavor - omg what a difference! No bitterness, very smooth and strong flavor. The lack of bitterness makes it feel sweet and chocolatey! I think this is the only way now but it does require building the habit of preparing the coffee before dinner time which is a tricky thing to get used to.

8. salty dog

salty dog

Exp:
    At home cook
    I make cold brew during the warm months of the year. I make it very strong so it's a concentrate that I dilute with cold water and an ice cube. I make a quart every 4 or 5 days. It keeps well in the fridge that period.

9. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I'll have to start doing this. Making coffee in the am before going to work isn't always convenient. Glad to know a french press will do the job.

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It's been in the back of my mind to do this for a long time. I don't know why I thought it would be so complicated.

11. salty dog

salty dog

Exp:
    At home cook
    I meant to add to my previous post that a french press isn't necessary. I simply dump it thru a paper coffee filter. Takes a while to run thru but it's not like I have to stand there and watch it.

I went to the filter after I noticed my french press imparted off flavors for hot and cold coffee no matter how much I cleaned it. For hot coffee I've been using the AeroPress. Really makes a nice cuppa joe.

12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    How does a French press impart any flavor at all?

13. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I haven't tried it in a French press. 4 ounces of grounds to 20 ounces water in a mason jar (recycled spagetti sauce jar). 24 hour soak. Strain through fine metal strainer a 2 layers of paper towel. Pour over ice 3:1 with water.

14. salty dog

salty dog

Exp:
    At home cook
    I think the screen part just picked up some foul flavor. I tried boiling it to clean it but nothing worked. Gave the AeroPress a try and like it more than the french press method.

15. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    You might try soaking it in vinegar and/or baking soda. I'm not positive that would work the best but worth a try. The only off flavors the french press should impart would be from old coffee. not a great flavor but if it tastes like something else, it probably is.

16. salty dog

salty dog

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'll give it a try. The one thing about the AeroPress is it's one cup at a time. On those very rare occasions that I need to make more it would be good to have the french press working.

17. jay lancaster

jay lancaster

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Love cold brew. I have a 4 cup press that I use at home. But at work we have a local brand that we get for our commercial machine that is in a filter bag. I can just drop the bag(s) in a container of water & toss the bag in the morning. No straining required.

I actually pre-sweeten mine in bulk with a simple syrup after "brewing". Then all I have to do is add milk when ready.

18. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Milk?

Edit: I just did some research. Some folks like milk in their iced coffee. I had no idea. I won't be trying it but at least I'm better informed now.

19. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Exp:
    Dabbler
    Is this supposed to be drunk cold, once it has gone through the grounds it is to be the heated?

Does cold brew coffee have a hugely different taste to it?

Not sure it would be for me though as I always have the "ggaaaaahhcchh" response upon taking a mouthful of cold coffee when I have gotten sidetracked and forgotten about the mug at my side.

20. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Most people seem to drink it cold. But it can be drunk hot. Google "hot cold brew coffee" for testimonials.

Cold brew coffee is less acidic and more "rounded"... in a profound way.

Folks either like cold coffee or they don't. Try it once. You have a Starbucks nearby, don't you?