Coffee!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, Nov 16, 2016.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    So, I guess this isn't really about food, but I seem to get different results every time I brew using a Chemex.  I find it gets worse the more coffee I try to brew at once.  What's your coffee method?

2. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    A few years ago a girl from Macedonia gave me her Macedonian coffee pot. Its the small stove top pot with a handle on it. So it is making boiled coffee. The stuff is great. Using light roast makes a very deep chocolate-y cup of coffee. The downside of it is that I have to make it and take the time and mindfulness to do it. Its so easy just to boil water and fill up the french press.

3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I heat my water on the stove. Pour it over the ground coffee. Let it steep. Pour it through a coffee sock. Then into an airpot.

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    1. Boil water.
    2. Turn off the heat, uncover water, wait 1 minute.
    3. Wet coffee grains, wait 30 seconds for the grains to bloom.
    4. Slowly pour the rest of the water until cup is full.

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Of course everyone here would be passionate about their coffee as well.  It's who we are.  I boil water in a tea kettle and brew up a french press.  This creuset is on my christmas wish list.

6. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    French press, 20 - 22 grams of beans, coarsely ground.

mjb.

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hate to be the one to break the news, but French Press is bad for your cholesterol. I learned that from a friend who is in great shape, eats well, exercises regularly, and at 35 had way too much bad cholesterol. He didn't know what else to do to be healthier until he realized it was the French Press. He gave it up and now uses paper filters - no more cholesterol problems!!

So I'm not putting this here so you stop using your French Press - but at least from now on IF you ever get cholesterol issues, you know ONE way of reducing the issue.

http://www.foodgoat.com/2012/02/health-risk-of-french-press-coffee.html

8. luis de vence

luis de vence

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I do this as well. Everytime, deep and rich, oh, and dark!

9. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'll take my chances with cholesterol.  For now.

10. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I felt like I had to let you know in case someone gets cholesterol issues one day... then you know what one solution may be. I know that for my friend it was a revelation that changed his life, and his only regret is not having the information earlier.

On the other hand, the article does state that French Press coffee is tastier!

11. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    My favorite coffee comes from a French press or Italian Bialetti Mokka Express pot. We use a Keurig machine out of convenience too.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Convenient for humans, not so convenient for the environment unfortunately.

13. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It doesn't surprise me that something I love is bad for me. That's how my life is apparently. For reasons I don't remember I had to stop drinking French press when I was pregnant.

14. summer57

summer57

Exp:
    Home Cook
    We use the Technivorm Moccamaster and grind our own beans. I've thought about roasting them at home, but seems like too much trouble. There's a few places here that sell freshly-roasted beans and that makes a difference. Usually, though, we get Costco's Kirkland beans. We drink a lot of coffee!