Coffee disucssion

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Hello to all, I've been away for a while. Oh, and quite a while back now, there was mention that the vanished Boar_D_Laze was spotted on a coffee blog called something like "Barista.com," I did go there once, so it did exist under some similar name. Someone please help me out here, it's for an aspiring coffee roaster for whom it would be a great help. Seemed like a great site, and BDL was already the darling there.

Rick

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
It was alleged to me in private message that BDL had died some years back.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Sorry news, he was a joy to read just for his writing style. Was hoping he'd finish his cook book.

Thanks cheflayne, I'll pass that one on.

I remember now, it was Phedrus mentioned the Barista site.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Sorry news, he was a joy to read just for his writing style. Was hoping he'd finish his cook book.

Thanks cheflayne, I'll pass that one on.

I remember now, it was Phedrus mentioned the Barista site.
Considering the person created an account just to PM me with unverifiable info and then proceeded into various insults about BDL and myself, I did not consider the info particularly reliable. They could have just as easily made a thread about it all. It all just seemed off and strange. Given the prolonged absence, and it seems even his cooking blog is gone now (or what I thought was the URL) it may be accurate.

Joined Feb 4, 2021
Although this is not about coffee beans, but this is exactly what we are talking about, I would like to ask the professionals for advice on best hazelnut coffee. My mom has a special bond with hazelnuts, and I recently gave her a coffee machine and would like to know about the best companies that produce such beans. I searched the internet today and came across the best hazelnut coffees like New England Coffee Hazelnut Creme and Lovesome Ground Coffee Hazelnut. I would like to advise which of these 2 to take. The main criterion for coffee is that it contains as few chemicals, additives, caffeine as possible. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited:
Joined Aug 21, 2004
The main criterion for coffee is that it contains as few chemicals, additives, caffeine as possible
That seems to be a contradictory statement in and of itself as any flavored coffee will contain at least one better living through science additive, not to mention caffeine. :tongue:

Best bet would be to make your own. Roast hazelnuts. Shake vigourously in a towel to remove most of the skins. Either grind with with your coffee beans or separately and then add to already ground coffee right before brewing.

Joined Feb 21, 2020
There are many names for baristas and all other types of coffee. My most favorite picks are from a different brand of coffee, but I like it. For some, the strength of the drink is important, for some, light varieties with honey notes are more suitable, while others prefer a balanced creamy taste. When choosing products, it is very important to pay attention to every nuance, since there are no trifles in this matter and cannot be - the variety itself, the origin of the beans, composition, degree of roasting, freshness, and so on. If you are well versed in these matters, you can always choose the most suitable drink not only for yourself, but also for your friends and relatives.

Joined Dec 29, 2019
That seems to be a contradictory statement in and of itself as any flavored coffee will contain at least one better living through science additive, not to mention caffeine. :tongue:

Best bet would be to make your own. Roast hazelnuts. Shake vigourously in a towel to remove most of the skins. Either grind with with your coffee beans or separately and then add to already ground coffee right before brewing.

Is that how its made, I was under the impression they just add hazelnut flavoring to the beans.
I avoid flavored coffee, same as flavored tea, orange pekoe uses orange oil to mask the flavor of inferior leaves.

I worked for a small batch roaster yrs ago, they could roast 1 lb batches very quickly, it seemed a decent idea but didn't take off.

Top Bottom