coffee cupping program

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shroomgirl, Jan 6, 2001.

1. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Well I'm program co-chair of St. Louis Culinary Society 2001. And our first program in Feb. is a tour of a coffee roasting house with a sampling of different roasts and blends....I've asked the owner to talk about FTO, Shade Tree and different decaf processes....anyone been to a cupping and what would YOU be interested in learning about coffees?

**As an aside I've got to know by Monday.
    ***I'm planning multiple programs this year....what's hot in equipment, edible flowers and herbs, Authors receptions, how to make pies, how to set up a website, picnic in the feilds roasting a whole lamb, tour of a F&B program with student lunch (we donated alot of $ to their program), possibly ethnic stores with a cooking demo... holiday cocktail party.
    Tried to do a chocolate and Red wine tasting (compare/contrast) but could find no one to run it and most of the members I spoke to said "eauuuuuu that doesn't sound like a good combo" too cutting edge I guess.

TIA and I'll come back with info I learned.

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Not here guys.....but if you know someone knowledgable and interested in doing a professional discourse on the subject in St. Louis....I'm your girl....contact me...think you know where I hang out.

So coffee questions anyone?

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I'd be interested in knowing the beginning to end process of coffee making. I kinda already know the basics, but there's a lot more to learn on the subject. Also, I'd like to know more about the decaffeinating processes.

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I'm interested in the decaf processes. Blending procedures....all beans cannot be the same soooo how do they blend, is it as artisanal as wine making. This is a small locl roaster with a coffee house. She ran the booth at the Market last season....thought I'd give back to her business and educate our foodie community.Also want to know how she knows FTO (free trade organization....paying the worker better) or shade tree or organic with foreign crops....who moniters and what assurences does she get.
    What coffees do you guys drink?
    I do Community Coffee Dark Roast, or chicory added....Columbian, Kona, or French Roast when playing....occasionally I go for a roasted pecan (there is one roaster in Houston that does a phenomenal job with this roast especially...real pecans)

5. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    One of the best coffees I've had was from Peet's. Check out their website. It's very informative. www.peets.com I think. I usually buy French or Italian roast, and French press it. Sugar in the Raw is the best for coffee IMHO.

6. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I feel almost guilty. I'm drinking a cup of Celebes right now, cheaply and readily available at the coffeehouse/roastery across the street from my apt. building. Sumatra and Java are also good; I like anything Pacific or African in origin, preferably a full city or French roast.

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Full city roast??

8. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's a term of doneness for roasted beans. The order, as I recall it, is half city, full city, French and espresso (lightest roast to darkest).

9. nutcakes

nutcakes

Boy do I love Peets.

10. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I don't post twice anymore but I still lose posts!!!Go figure.

Thanks...I drink alot of coffees, I'll check into this roast...interesting that I've never seen it before. Does it go by another name (especially in the South)?
    I used to drink Jamican Blue Mountain and Kona...you just don't see them as much.
    I stock up on Community coffee when I go south I love the dark roast and french roast. They have an "in between roast" should be similar to city roast.
    Thanks

11. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm sure you've had it, just didn't know the coffee tech name. And, like different people can have different ideas about what med rare meat is, different roasters produce subtle variations on different coffee roasts. the coffeehouse/roastery I live near now does their beans a little darker than the coffeehouse/roastery I lived near before. Hmm...second place in a row that I've lived in that is near a coffee roastery. I tried to tell myself when I got the current place that it was closer to work, guess I'm in denial about my coffee habit.

12. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I could throw a rock and hit the roastery across the street from my place! And I still wouldn' mind being closer. I want to be close enough that they can run a tap line to my apartment. Any coffeehouses with in-house roasters in St Louis?

13. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    NOPE, but there are in Baton Rouge and New Orleans...nothing like the smell and FRESH IS GREAT!!!!

14. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I live 1/2 block from Starbucks.