Coconut

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by allie, Dec 8, 2009.

1. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I am making a recipe for Martha Washington candies. The recipe calls for canned coconut. After going to three grocery stores, I can not find canned coconut. I went ahead and bought regular flaked coconut in the bag. Having never used canned coconut, I wasn't sure if this substitution would work. Is the canned more moist? If so, then will just cutting back on the dry ingredients work?

TIA!

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Use them one to one, Allie. As with so much in the culinary world, packaging has changed radically the past number of years. In this case, I can't remember the last time I saw canned coconut.

3. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you very much! Now I can mix up my filling so the kids can help roll the balls after school!

4. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Use in the same manner.

5. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks Ed! I mixed it up and the consistency was perfect for rolling into balls.

6. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The name of this recipe intrigued me, so I googled...they sound really yummy! Do you mind sharing your recipe?

7. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    They are delicious! All of my life, my grandmother made these for Christmas. I don't know if she still does since I don't make it home for the holidays. I hope you enjoy!

Martha Washington Candy
    2 boxes confectioners' sugar
    2 c. chopped nuts
    2 sticks butter, melted
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 can coconut
    1 can Eagle Brand milk
    1 lg. pkg. chocolate morsels (12 oz)
    1 pkg. Gulf wax (1 oz per 12 oz chocolate morsels)
    Mix sugar, vanilla, milk and butter together; add coconut and nuts. Roll into balls and place in refrigerator long enough to allow balls to become firm (about 1 hour). Melt chocolate morsels and wax together and dip balls (with toothpicks) into melted chocolate. Place on foil or waxed paper.

**When I dipped these, the one bag of chocolate morsels was not enough so I ended up melting another one. I would have been better to have just melted half the bag because I ended up with a good bit leftover.