Coconut Oil

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by hokiegirl, Jul 24, 2013.

1. hokiegirl

hokiegirl

Exp:
    Other
    Has any one experimented substituting coconut oil for butter in cakes and pastry recipes? I would like to make the subsistution in my white cakes first to give it a try. Is there a subsistution ratio or is it switch one for the other in equal amounts? Are the any other ingredient changes i need to account? I wonder if it will change the exterior apperance (browning, ridging, smooth; dry surface, spotty; tacky surface, etc). And how it will effect the interior texture, if at all? Will the cake be moist, tender, airy, with a fine crumble or will it be dence or dry?
    If I hear positive results and suggests from my foodie friends and if my cakes bake beautifully then my plan is to move on to pastries. I have been in the mood for carrot cake, Madeleine's and Canneles de Bourdeaux. Quite a jump, huh?

2. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Remember, butter is 15%-20% (depending on brand, generally 18%) water, so, 1 cup of butter (226.8g) is actually 34-45g of water and 182-193g of fat.

Coconut oil has long been used in baking and pastries.

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    In what capacity????  ...same as lard?

4. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As a major fat in baking, until saturated fats became suspect.

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Inert problems in all "tropical" oils is the high % cholesterol (Jams the arteries)

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    And so what was the advantage in using tropical oils in baking?  They were cheap?

7. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK, here is an article to get you started: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/cooking-with-coconut-oil/?_r=0

As I have worked as a consultant specializing in the use of coconut oil, I will refrain from commenting.

There is a wealth of information on the internet, some good, some not so good, some really peculiar!

If I am able to locate historical references, I'll post them.

Be cautious when using the web as a reference, as with many non-main stream ideas, there are some who, shall we say, are a bit over zealous, both as advocates and opponents?

8. hokiegirl

hokiegirl

Exp:
    Other
    @Pete thank you for your first message regarding substitution. I am brand new to all of this so please forgive me for sounding so junior league but I'm here because I need help learning and I'm hoping to find good people here to give me a hand.
    I am interested in learning how to write your own recipes. Understanding what goes in and how it works. If I understood you correctly, you mentioned the % fat in butter. Is that the amount I would sub for the coconut oil and then add the remaining weight in water so not worry about the % water from the butter?
    Any links or info you can point me to in the direction of learning about these things I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

9. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That is how I would do it.

Say recipe calls for, um, 1 pound of butter (16 ounces = 454g) and the butter is, um say, 80% butterfat. 454g X 0.80 = 363.2g fat; 454 - 363.2 = 90.8g water

Substitute 363g coconut oil and 91g water

10. hokiegirl

hokiegirl

Exp:
    Other
    thanks Pete! I'm super excited to get baking. I wish I had the day off tomorrow :rolleyes:
    You seem to have a wealth of knowledge in this area. Jealous!

11. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    that's what I was looking for, that measurement.