coconut milk

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phoebe, Feb 10, 2006.

1. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Next weekend we're cooking an Indian meal with friends using one of Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks. One of the recipes calls for coconut milk. We've never used it before, and I remember listening to a program where they cautioned that most brands were inferior. What are the best brands of coconut milk available?

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Purchase at an Asian grocer. Cheaper, more brands to choose from and faster turnover. As to brands, I haven't noticed much difference.

Perhaps all that's available in my area is "inferior"?

Phil

3. scott123

scott123

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    My favorite from the Asian grocer brands is Asian Taste. It's the thickest/least watered down.

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I use Chaokoh or Chef's Choice brands. (As an aside, I used it one Thanksgiving to make mashed sweet potatoes, and it was fabulous!)

Kuan will probably tell you how easy it is to make your own, but not everyone has the coconut scraper/grater/shredder-thingy his mom does. :p But actually, it IS supposes to be pretty easy: according to Naomi Duguid and Jeffrey Alford, combine 2 cups grated fresh coconut with 1 1/2 cups warm water in a blender, whiz it thoroughly, let it sit a couple of minutes, then squeeze the liquid out with your hands. If you repeat the process you get a thinner liquid but it's still usable. You could probably use a food processor to grate fresh coconut (don't need to peel off the brown skin even!).

The important thing is to use the extracted liquid within 24 hours (stored airtight in the fridge if you must). Coconut milk is very perishable, especially fresh. Must keep it refrigerated and use soon. And the fat will congeal in the fridge.

5. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hey I use Chaokoh and Chef's choice too! :D

You gotta get one of these:

[​IMG]

6. mangilao30

mangilao30

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I use a lot of coconut milk and think Aroyo-D is the best brand, thick and tasty.

7. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you to everyone! I just got a couple of cans of Chaokoh from a restaurant supply place nearby. I was amazed how many different brands are out there! I wonder if there are differences among the Thai, Chinese, Indian, etc. brands?

And Kuan, that monster looks like it could get more coconut on the floor and on you than in the bowl! :bounce: