Cocoa vs. Cacao

Joined May 13, 2015
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have a pretty basic question about which to use it a cake recipe I'll be trying soon. The recipe calls for baking cocoa (dutch process or dark cocoa)…ok, no problem. However, I have a huge bag of cacao powder that a friend recently sent me (along with a bevy of other all natural "super foods"). What would be the difference (if any) in the cake if I were to use the cacao powder instead of the baking cocoa, which the recipe calls for? Would it affect the taste, consistency, appearance, anything? TIA!  

Joined Oct 10, 2005
No difference between Cacao and cocoa, but there is a big difference between "Dutched"cocoa and plain/regular/untreated cocoa.

Dutched cocoa is treated with alkali, which will form a gas when combined with baking soda. So pay attention to recipies that call for dutched cocoa and use plain old baking soda as a leavener.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
Dutched cocoa is processed, never mind, I just saw Foodpumps post. If you were to use Dutched you only can use baking powder. You can't use Dutched when baking soda is in the formula.

Top Bottom