cocoa powder

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by candy, Nov 4, 2005.

1. candy

candy

I have an old family recipe from someone that has passed away and the recipe says 1 1/4 ounces of cocoa powder. How many teaspoons and/or tablespoons is that? I would really like to make this chocolate icing for my son's cake. He remembers his grandmother making it many times. Thanks. --Candy--

2. kaylinda

kaylinda

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Candy...I'm guessing you don't have a scale to weigh it out? I am already done in the kitchen tonight....but I will weigh it out tomorrow and get as close a measurement as I can. If no one else answers your request...I'll post it tomorrow night.

3. kaylinda

kaylinda

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I weighed out 1 1/4 ounces today. Then I took a tablespoon and counted them out...there was 7 Tablespoons....it was slightly less than 1/2 cup. Hope this helps!

4. kelleybean

kelleybean

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi Candy,

This could very well be incorrect but if I am doing my calculations correctly the answer should be 2 ½ Tbs. That should be right but I can't be 100% sure.

Good Luck.
    Kelley

5. markv

markv

I don't know if it translates perfectly for powders but for liquids:

2 tablespoons = 1 oz.

3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon

Mark

6. chefphilhahn

chefphilhahn

Are you ready for this.....

In order to translate oz. to tbls. (w/o a scale like kaylinda will do for you tommorow....) Tbsp to grams 2Tbls = 19g...

Grams to oz. 19g = .67 oz

.67oz +.67oz = 1.34 oz. that is a little more than 1.25oz needed of your cocoa powder.

That comes out to just under 4 Tbls. So I would do 3 Tbls and 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder.