coco for ice cream and other baking

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Ghiradelli Premium Baking Cocoa 100% or Unsweetened Nestle TOLL HOUSE Cocoa or
Hershey's Natural Unsweetened Cocoa or
Hershey's, Special Dark Cocoa. Which Would you use and why and remember I'm not a pro so my access to supplies is limited.

Joined Dec 30, 2015
Hey Dagger! The various cocoa products have different flavors and different properties. The brands you mentioned are widely available and are inexpensive. Try them! Of the cocoas you mentioned, my preference of supermarket cocoas is Ghiardelli. Which one will you like?

The powders generally are unsweetened. That's how you want them so you control the sugar.

Note that Dutch process or European style cocoas fall into a special category. You mentioned Hershey's Special. It is a blend of about 1/2 Dutched, half natural. Dutching is a process that deepens the color and flavor by changing the ph so it no longer reacts with baking soda. Your baking soda bake may fail, but baking powder works just fine. If your recipe is not meant to rise, you can use either cocoa.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/08/difference-dutch-process-natural-cocoa-powder-substitute.html

Higher quality powders like Guittard and Valrhona (and more!) are available online. They can be pricey, but worth it once your taste buds become more educated.
https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/05...-that-put-the-supermarket-stuff-to-shame.html

Ina Gartner likes Pernigotti. https://www.bonappetit.com/story/best-cocoa-powder

The main thing is to just have fun!

Joined May 4, 2005
What are you making? You mentioned the special dark. I bought that as an emergency once and I’ve become fond of it for home baking. Very chocolatey flavor.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
I always thought Dutch chocolate simply had orange peel added. Is this often so with Dutch chocolate, or is it just the voodoo they do gives it the orange peel flavor?

Joined May 4, 2005
I always thought Dutch chocolate simply had orange peel added. Is this often so with Dutch chocolate, or is it just the voodoo they do gives it the orange peel flavor?
I’ve never heard that before. There is no orange in it.

Joined Feb 4, 2005
right now i` Into ice cream using half/half & evaperated milk. i used nestles with good results sogive hersheys & ghirardelli try but not jmpressed with their brownie mixs

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Wait, this is Blowing My Mind! Every since I was a toddler the taste of anything that said "Dutch Chocolate" tasted of orange, still did last time I had it, which may have been a few years ago. Someone else here must have experienced that.

I guess it must be some effect similar as with cilantro, where to a small percentage of the population it tastes of soap. I was one of those till recently, I really enjoy cilantro now that it doesn't taste of soap, but I'd certainly miss the orange effect of Dutch(ed) chocolate if that flavor disappeared.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
None of the products I have had said anything of "orange" in the description, simply Dutch Chocolate." Last item was either ice cream or a chocolate bar. Well, I will have to find something Dutch Chocolate to try.

Latest posts

Top Bottom