Coarse grind of S&P

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Hi :)

I have peppercorns, and some very coarse salt.

I got this spice mill, thinking it would do the trick:

It's advertised as the output being from 'fine to coarse'. I am seeing very fine to fine.

I am looking to wind up with this consistency:

Outside of a M&P, which I really don't feel like doing :), any ideas on what I can use?

Thanks in advance.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Rolling pin and ziplock bag on a hard surface?

Joined May 25, 2015
This is what I use. How fine or coarse the grind depends on how long you hold the button down.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I use both of these products. They grind nice and coarse. $2.19 each. Use them up and keep the grinders.

1 pepper.jpg 1 salt.jpg

Joined Dec 18, 2010
... and to think I bought two more Peugeot grinders... should have been paying more attention while shopping at TJ’s. :) image.jpg

Joined Jan 4, 2011
brianshaw brianshaw ... I'm sure your grinders are just fine. Mine ... and the S&P that go with ... are on my work counter-top and in my travel-bag for my on-location jobs. I don't have the same need for attractive things like your beautiful grinders. I would also get considerably agitated ... as I'm sure you would too ... if some kitchen stooge dropped or knocked them to the floor to get busted. ... 98.6% of that which I use are tools of utility and not of any stylish concern.
Mine would look kinda stupid on a nice dinner table whereas yours fit in just like they belong. ... It's AG My Friend.
"We work in kitchens. ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I'm now thinking that I have too many grinders (if that is possible ;) )
I use a coffee grinder for big amounts (an electric one and an old hand one(, pestle & mortar (esp if I make pastes, requiring salt and pepper), the same type grinder as Iceman, and a nice big wooden one like Brian's (although a bit lighter in colour).

Joined Dec 19, 2014
Thanks all!

Rolling pin and ziplock bag on a hard surface?
Not a bad idea, but not what I want to do if the goal is a big batch to keep on my counter, which will last me several months.

I've had a OXO pepper grinder for years and it has a nice coarse setting.
Will look into that - thx.

This is what I use.
$175... whoa! Might be worth it, tho.

I use both of these products.
Funny - I have one. It grinds well, but not that coarse. It's diff than the ones you have pictured, so maybe those are different. Do those grind as coarse as what I had pic'd?

Cheers.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
if the goal is a big batch to keep on my counter, which will last me several months.
If that’s what you really want to do then you should just keep using pre-ground. Fresh ground takes only seconds/minutes to make so smaller quantity retains the vibrant flavor of freshly cracked pepper.

don’t you already have a mortar and pestle on your counter? If not, you should! image.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom