Cloning human genes into livestock

Joined Mar 3, 2002
In case you missed it:

For those interested in experiments in the implantation of human genes into cows and pigs, see today's NYTimes at the link below. Apparently the idea is to introduce elements into these animals that are needed by people either in their foods or for transplant organs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/23/opinion/23KRIS.html

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I think the goal is laudable. Similar things have been done in medicine to cause bacteria to produce medical chemicals without outcry.

I don't view the human or other mammal's genome as sacrosant. The principle is the same as the medicine above.

As far as enviro or health risks go, this is much safer than the other transgenic pursuits. Cows are totally domestic and don't have any wild populations to interfere with. Breeding doesn't happen through the air as with plants so it's not going to spread out of control, even in testing. Nor would the resulting items be genetically dangerous to humans, as is feared with the other concepts.

Pigs are already the best donors to humans for temporary skin and cardio studies/material. Improvement would be a good thing.

Of course, it should be an individual's choice to consume these items in food or medicine. Disclosure is a good thing.

Phil

Joined Jul 23, 2002
Um...
for medical uses? Maybe...

For FOOD? NO!

Cows eating cows make sick cows that make sick people.

Cows eating people make what kind of food?
Skin transplants and tendon replacements are one thing but some animals were not made to eat animals.

Jon

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I didn't read the actual article as I don't have a NYT account, nor do I want one.

But to my knowledge, no one is talking about the cows eating humans. That's not how genes work.

Phil

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Yes, that's true. We already eat genes in everything else we consume. I suppose some might object to it as cannibalism in the same way they object to blood transfusions. As I said earlier, they don't have to eat it. Or accept it as medicine. Disclosure and choice is a good thing.

Phil

Top Bottom