Client wine evening and dinner party

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by goldilocks, Sep 17, 2013.

1. goldilocks

goldilocks

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello!

I'm after your thoughts and advice, if you don’t mind. It is my turn to host a 'wine evening' for husbands work clients. Everyone brings a VERY nice bottle of wine, and we have fun tasting them and getting drunk. The host also cooks dinner, and I wondered what you thought of the below menu ideas. I want to impress these people, but I don’t want to end up in a mess. The person who hosted last paid for a professional chef to cook in front of us all… that’s what I’m up against!

NB: I won’t know the wine in advance, which is pretty annoying but that’s the way it is. I could serve my own with the dinner to make sure it matched though if theirs doesn’t. Also there are no special dietary requirements.

Starter:

Rustic pate with pear and saffron compote, served with brown bread. The pate has chicken, pork and duck in it, it’s a Gordon Ramsey recipe

Main:

Braised lamb shanks on a bed of garlic mash and some veg on the side (lost for ideas, was thinking maybe some blanched broc, green beans or asparagus tips?)

Dessert:

I originally wanted a fun dessert, and was thinking a chocolate fondue at each end of the table with fresh fruit and marshmallows but I’m not sure that will work with the above.

Is that too much meat?

I want things I can make in advance (I can make the pate a few says ahead, and the shanks that morning then warm through in the sauce before serving).

Thanks for reading, could really do with some help.

Goldi

2. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That's a lot of effort for a wine evening, Goldi. Excellent menu but if the end goal of the evening is to get drunk, I wouldn't even bother and throw a pâté on the table plus a few cheeses and French baguette and participate in the feast too. There's a big risk that all your glorious work will remain ungratified and you couldn't even blame anyone; it's a wine evening. Furthermore, if you have no idea which wines will pop up, that's one more risk for all your effort.

If you insist to go for the dinner anyway, I would go for a medley of root vegetables with the shank.

3. goldilocks

goldilocks

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks Chris. I wanted to do something that will give me a chance to try and cook something nice for more people than I usually would cook for, but you're right maybe it's too much. I'll have a rethink. I may make the pate this weekend anyway to test it out, the recipe sounds so nice /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif