Cleaning Wooden Bowls

Joined Aug 16, 2005
Hi Everyone;

I'd like to make a Cesaers Salad in the traditional manner using the wooden bowls. Have never used wooden utensils or bowls before, how do you go about cleaning it after you're done with it? Surely there's a way to do this without ruining the bowl but still not have to worry about bacterial contamination the next time you use it...

Thanks

Bond

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Just wash it in the sink with regular dish soap and a rag. Dry it off immediately and you should be fine. Just like a wooden cutting board. Don't put it in the dishwasher.

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Kuan is right as far as he goes. You need to oil your salad bowl regularly though. The more often you use it, the more often it needs oiling. First choice of oil for most food surfaces, including salad bowls, is regular mineral oil from the drug store. It doesn't get sticky or rancid, and it's not bad for you. Pour a little on to a rag or paper-towel; wipe it into the wood, wipe any excess off with a clean towel, and store the bowl until ready to use it.

There's a well-established regimen for restoring dried-out wood, you might as well know it. First week: Oil first day, second day, fourth day. Second Week: Oil first day. Third week: Oil first day. Second month: Oil first day. Third month: Oil first day. After that, the bowl should require oiling every other month if it gets used a lot, or every six months or so, if it's never used.Oil your cutting boards, knife block, knife handles, and any other wood or prep surface according to the same schedule. Remember: Plain, inexpensive, mineral oil from the drug store.

If you need a recipe for a "classic" Casear with anchovies, raw egg and the whole fifties style thing, say the word.

BDL

Joined Jun 6, 2007
All good advice here.

I would only add a small detail. This applies particularly to wood cutting boards but also to bowls: make sure the wood is very dry before storing and stacking. If the wood is dry but humid (yet clean) stacking may prevent the board or bowls from drying up completely. If is takes months before you use them you may find mould spots in or on the wood. (speaking from experience).
When I use wood boards or dishes, I let them aerate overnight in the dish rack after washing without stacking.
Luc H.

Joined Aug 16, 2005
Thanks everyone for the replies. That's a new one for me- mineral oil.:smiles:Not that I've never used it before but certainly never for food related use.

O.K. - You've certainly piqued my interest with the "classic" recipe for Casear salad. I've seen just about everyone and they are pretty much all the same.
I'd like to see how yours differs from the rest....

Bond

Joined Jul 27, 2008
I'll agree that drying the bowl thoroughly is important. I have wooden cutting boards that are discoloring because they have sat with water on them for too long.

Top Bottom