Cleaning wood cutting board

Joined Apr 5, 2020
I have made and cleaned many wooden cutting boards over the years. However, I recently made a large maple side / face grain cutting board that I have cleaned and re-oiled a few times. I cleaned it again the other day because it was getting a little smelly with all the extra use recently. And it’s tired a grey color. I’m not sure how to refresh the surface to be Iran natural bright maple surface again. Any advice welcome!

I’ve attached picture of the front and back of the board.

Thank you DA43F339-B8DC-4315-AD23-C739325F2104.jpeg 4B4B38B9-D957-423D-84F4-39377AEB4CBF.jpeg

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Your going to have to remove a layer of wood, either by sanding, scraping, or planing. Easiest thing to do is find someone with a thickness planer and have them remove 1/32- 1/16” from each side, you’ll have to hand sand the juice grooves though

Sanding the entire surface works too, but it is laborious, messy, time consuming and eats a lot of sandpaper.

For most furniture restorations this discolouring would be removed with oxolic acid or a two part wood bleach—neither of which are considerations for an item like a cutting board that comes in contact with food
Hope this helps

Top Bottom