cleaning sharp knives

Joined May 19, 2020
Hi all, I got some good sharp knives and want to keep them that way. From what I understand I cannot place them in the dishwasher. Can I use a 50 percent solution of vinegar to clean them? I like cleaning with natural chemicals if I can but understand sometimes it isn't feasible. Plus I already use this for other stuff.

Thanks

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Home situation: 99% of the time I clean with just water. For stuck-on goop, a bit more water and clean the sides with either fingertips or a nonabrasive sponge.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Hi all, I got some good sharp knives and want to keep them that way. From what I understand I cannot place them in the dishwasher. Can I use a 50 percent solution of vinegar to clean them? I like cleaning with natural chemicals if I can but understand sometimes it isn't feasible. Plus I already use this for other stuff.

Thanks
You don't have to overthink this. Gentle soap and water is all you need. Be sure to dry them well. If the handles are made of wood, care for them the same way you would a cutting board. Do not soak them and oil them when you see them begin to absorb water. If they are synthetic handles, no worries.

Cheers! :)

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Could someone please just go over the idea of not putting knives in the dishwasher please.

... I'm asking for a friend.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Could someone please just go over the idea of not putting knives in the dishwasher please.

... I'm asking for a friend.
Not gonna lie I put my crappy everyday use knives (which are still a lot better quality knives that I see in most places) directly in the dishwasher and don't have any issues. I'll hand wash my good ones but am not above using a steel scrubber on the blade if I need it. It's hardened steel, I'm sure it'll be okay.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Huh? Like no soap/sanitizer at all?
Home situation: 99% of the time I clean with just water. For stuck-on goop, a bit more water and clean the sides with either fingertips or a nonabrasive sponge.
update. Forgot to type: HOT water and a drop of Dawn dishwashing liquid. Thanks for poking!

But never a dishwasher... not even for my cheapest cutlery.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I simply finger wipe mine under running water and wipe dry. If it's been a long session I touch them up before retiring that way they are good to go the next round. I never, ever put a knife in a dishwasher - synthetic handle, or not. It's simply bad practice IMO. I value my knives they were not cheap, many I have rehandled with exotic woods, etc. and many are carbon core with soft stainless cladding. Habits are habits for a reason.

Joined Jun 11, 2013
OK ... Why not the dishwasher?!?
I can think of several reasons:
  • Placing knives into a dishwasher and removing them risks damaging the blade if it hits or slices anything.
  • The blade could nick or slice protective coverings for dish racks, etc.
  • Other items, like cutlery or flatware, can bang into the knife and get damaged or damage the blade
  • Many knives do not have handles designed to withstand the duration and heat a dishwasher produces
I highly recommend handwashing your knives as you use them . . . and don't forget to dry immediately. Don't let stuff linger or dry on the blade.

Top Bottom