Cleaner?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kellygirl, Feb 15, 2013.

1. kellygirl

kellygirl

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hi everyone,

As you probably know, it can be difficult to clean icing, especially buttercream from hands, dishes, and tools.  Can anyone recommend an awesome cleaner to help with this?  Industrial strength?  Brand names please?

Thanks!

2. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What about soaking the equipment in just plain hot hot water overnight?

3. kellygirl

kellygirl

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    That will work yes, but they will still be greasy from the vegetable shortening and butter.  Also, I typically need to wash and reuse the tools immediately and don't have time to wait.  It then makes my hands all slippery making it hard to pipe and use the decorating bag.  Just thought that someone out there might know of a stronger cleaner. :)

4. kellygirl

kellygirl

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hot water soak will help, yes.  But typically I need to wash and reuse the tools right away.  The vegetable shortening and butter will also make my hands slippery as I wash and even after I wash my hands.  This makes it hard to manage the decorating bags and pipe, etc.  Just thought that someone may know of a heavier duty cleaner out there :)

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Maybe just double up on your supplies and equipment.

6. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    pjswim likes this.
  7. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Any dish detergent and hot water - what have you tried so far?  I never had any problem with the cheapo dish detergent if i use hot water, which melts the butter - the detergent removes traces of grease. 

8. pjswim

pjswim

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi,

I find with my things that if I use "Dawn" dish detergent & super HOT water, let it rest in the sink until you can take a break from the other thing Ur doing, & by the time U get bak, it has melted away. Especially "grease, butter, eggs & etc" hope this helps... Happy Cleaning