"classic" French cuisine?

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Definitely not cultivated - I remember going in the mountains and picking them. They were also all over my backyard, growing wild. They would end up making yellow flowers, but at that point they were too bitter to eat.

Thanks a lot!! :roll:

Joined Aug 25, 2009
Yes Shroom,

Call it lunch or supper .....:thumb:

I cannot help but add a few more to my list....before this thread is sadly left behind and forever more forgotten....

Tartare de boeuf or of salmon en cornet (in cone)
Bouillabaisse du clerge (done with seafood)
Mignon de caribou , sauce poivrade et matignons de celeri-rave (caribou and pepper sauce mounted)
Soupe a l'oignon, Lyonnaise aux deux fromages (onion soup -two cheese)
Pied de cochon (pigs feet)
Jarret d'agneau confit (lamb confit)

Desserts ( I have a bit of a sweet tooth)

Oeuf a la neige caramel au parfum de rhum
La creme brulee au rhum, cassonade et sa tuile a la noix de coco
Tulip aux trois sorbets sur coulis de fruits frais (3 sorbets with berry fruit compote)
Tarte au sucre, creme fraiche, glace au caramel (sugar pie with creme fraiche and caramel ice cream)
Poire pochee ( as a child I would eat this all the time with chocolat syrup on top, special occasions she would poach it in red wine for two colors)
Pot de creme au chocolat noir (chocolate like mousse)
Pomme au four a l'erable (maple baked apple)

FWIW. No one should feel intimidated by a French named dish, they are all easy it is just the name that alot of people do not hear often.

ps
Every year since a young it was cabane a sucre....still go. My grandmother (not alive) was one of the greatest cooks I ever knew (I guess all grandmothers are) and as for my mother....still is.

My friend and I , well we enjoy raclette......

Joined Jul 31, 2000
What wonderful dishes,

It made me think of when I taught a class on Pate a Choux how much I love pomme dauphine, or potato puffs. Choux paste blended with riced potatoes.A touch of Fleur DE sel. Crisp and buttery. Perfect with a saddle of lamb. So much technique cooks use are French, and many times don't even realize it because it has become so intermingled with general proper technique and execution. I remember going to a foie gras tasting probably 15 years ago, Thomas Henkelmann made a mousseline of foie gras studded with black winter truffles. He simply served it on a spoon. Perfection of taste and texture.

What, if anything is wrong with cheering on French cuisine, Many American trail blazers cut their teeth learning this cuisine. I say all cooks and chefs, and foodies alike should spend sometime making a perfect stock, produce a mother sauce, learn how to butcher, make a baguette,talk to your fish monger, make a soufflé. Why not? I think the cuisine of Europe, ( in particular France) and Asia are the back bones of how we approach cooking.

This is general, and not meant to leave anyone out. Maybe it is just my thinking of cooking.

Joined Jan 5, 2007
We manage to visit France at least 3 or 4 times a year.

I LOVE French cuisine, French wine, French cheeses, French bread......... and so on!:p

Joined Jul 31, 2000
A ripe Epoisse with a glass of Pinot :thumb:
Tomme from Savoie with some sausage.
If I have to wait through affinage I'll wait for a comte and make a fondue.

Joined Jun 16, 2007
I don't know enough about French food to say any favorites, but I did visit SW France in 2000 and everything was wonderful, even the simplest things.

Latest posts

Top Bottom