Clarifying stock

Joined Feb 15, 2021
Greetings all,

I have a question about clarifying stock. I put a lot of effort into making a roasted veal stock that unfortunately is very cloudy. I'd like to clarify it, but I don't want to sacrifice the gelatin by using the Heston Blumenthal ice filtration method, and I've read that the classical egg raft technique can also pull out flavor and gelatin. I don't need the stock to be consomme-clear, but I mainly plan to use the stock to make sauces and I'm worried that the impurities will have an unpleasant effect once the stock is reduced.

I'm thinking about re-simmering the chilled stock and skimming for a while to try to pull out some impurities. Does anyone know if this is possible, or is it too late now that the stock is already cloudy? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
There won't be much flavor lost using a raft. If you like, you can use some ground meat and veg as part of the raft to avoid any flavor loss. I don't see how a raft would pull gelatin out but if you find it isn't gelatinous enough, you can always add some powdered or sheet gelatin. After rafting you can strain it through a large coffee filter. Or you could strain it through the coffee filter first, then raft if need be.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
what chefwriter says s spot on, but...

why IS your stock cloudy?

Next time you make it you have to skim off the scum as soon as it forms. Scum is nothing more than dead protein, it has no flavour, no nutritional value, no body, and no gelatine. it is, in other words, scum, and it needs to be removed when it os still in large clumps, because once it breaks ip into minute particles there's no way to remove it.

The other thing to remove as soon as it forms is fat. Fat is a thief: It steals flavour and colour, and if allowed to remain in the stock for long periods of time, can emulsify and cloud the stock.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
If your stock is chilled that's the time to remove any fat as it's solidified on top. A stock that boils will always be cloudy. At home we have the luxury of time, in a commercial setting we don't so techniques like the egg raft is the only option I know of. The making of clarified stocks and consumes has been around since the middle ages so IMO there is no point in reinventing the wheel so to speak.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
If your stock is chilled that's the time to remove any fat as it's solidified on top.
Eh.. no. Fat should be removed frequently during the simmering period. As stated above, fat absorbs flavour and colour, the quicker you remove this the fat doesn’t have time to absorb flavour.

cooling down stock with a thick layer of fat is problematic. Stocks should be cooled down in an ice bath and this requires frequent stirring to ensure quick cooldown. There is a high chance of emulsification if there is a lot of fat on top of the stock .

Also, the thick layer of fat significantly increases the time for the stock to cool down, as it acts like an insulating blanket.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I agree, but the OP mentioned "chilled stock" in his op - that's where I was going. I always skim if I'm not regulating the temperature below boiling. My stock never rises above 198F. so my stock is always clear.

If I'm making a stock from a whole chicken I'm damned well making dumplings to go with it - LOL . . .

Joined Feb 15, 2021
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I used the egg raft method last night, using a lower egg white to stock ratio than one normally would, and then filtered through a few layers of extra fine cheesecloth. I'm quite satisfied with the resulting stock, which was clear and flavorful and retained most of its original body.

I do want to avoid this problem in the future, but I'm a bit confused bc I never let the stock boil or even come close to it, and I skimmed throughout. Is it possible my mirepoix broke down enough to cloud the stock? I've never had this issue with my chicken stock which I only simmer for a few hours, but this batch of veal stock went for 9+.

Top Bottom