clarified butter

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
No I don't. There's a slight shift in the food industry's focus from anti-oxidants to a more direct effort in reducing transfats. I think it's a good thing, but they're doing it without providing a proper context for the general public. All everyone hears is that it's bad bad BAD for you, and our new french fries are good good GOOD! Hogwash.

I live with an oil chemist. Everywhere we go I have to hear the same fears about trans-fats. I'm tired of it. People who advertise their products as lower in trans-fats should try and do so without scaring the public.

Kuan

Joined Sep 13, 2002
To me it's not so much the health risk (or lack thereof) in using margarine, it's a matter of taste. Butter tastes better to me, and that's what I prefer to use. Additionally, I derive more pleasure from cooking with products that are "natural" than products which are not. That's an entirely aesthetic choice, of course, and your mileage may vary.

I've read varying recipes for clarifying butter, but when I do it it goes something like this: Cut a half pound (or sometimes a pound) of butter into dice, then simmer on medium-low heat long enough to begin seeing a brown detritus on the bottom. I strain the butter through cheesecloth (and I don't try to strain the detritus) into a glass container. I suppose you could store it in the pantry, but I've got room in my fridge.

At any one time my fridge tends to have small bowls of rendered fats that I've saved from various cooking processes; bacon fat, duck fat, chicken fat, etc. Using those fats alone or in combination with others is a nice way to add another element to a dish.

Joined Feb 5, 2001
I'd say it depends on the brand. We use a lot of clarified butter and we found that some butter can yield as little as 60% and some up to 85%.

Depends on the water content. (which is not usually
mentioned on the package). So it usually pays to buy the more expensive butter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom