CLARIFIED BUTTER(Ghee)

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by larry ziegler, Feb 26, 2005.

1. larry ziegler

larry ziegler

How long will it be ok to use if frozen? :(

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Actually you don't even have to freeze it if it's clarified correctly. I'd refrigerate it anyway. I normally get mine from the Indian grocer. It has that, uhm, "authentic" flavor. :)

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Kuan is right: if made properly (all the milk solids and all the water removed), it keeps just fine in the fridge. In fact, ghee is meant to be stored at room temperature (it's cooked beyond merely separated, until the fat reaches the "nutty" slightly browned stage.)

I just checked: I made the jar of clarified butter in my fridge on March 8, 2004. (I will buy lots of butter when it's on sale, and clarify it; it keeps fine that way, and then I always have some on hand for sauteing.)

But if you DO want to freeze it -- whether whole butter or clarified -- make sure it is very well wrapped or in a tightly closed, nonporous container. Butter tends to pick of that "stale freezer" smell and taste otherwise. :(

4. pinot

pinot

Thanks ! Its something I have never bothered to do , but since this thread I clarified a few sticks and have been using it here there and everywhere . Thanks again !