Clams Clams Clams pre cook shock?

Joined Apr 13, 2015
Can clams be steamed open and then shocked in ice water for future use? such as Ciopinno ect. ? Thanks.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Yes, as long as you are certain all of the clams are good and you're not talking about an extended period of time. But, why would you want to?

Is there a logistical issue that would otherwise prevent you from keeping the clams on ice and then using them in your dish?

Joined Apr 13, 2015
I saw Bobby flay doing cioponno on YouTube. He opened the clams ahead of time.....I guess my thinking is that I might over cook the clams if I steam them let them sit on counter....and then put them in ciopinno and heat them again....I was wondering if they should be shocked in ice water on first steam to stop them from over cooking.

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Why? You want the clam liquor in your cioppino. Drop them in the last few minutes covered, they will open on their own.
What's your method? The sauce is typically made ahead of time, with the seafood added to the pan to order, longest cooking first.
Btw... I've made 100's of gallons of sauce.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I saw Bobby flay doing cioponno on YouTube. He opened the clams ahead of time.....I guess my thinking is that I might over cook the clams if I steam them let them sit on counter....and then put them in ciopinno and heat them again....I was wondering if they should be shocked in ice water on first steam to stop them from over cooking.
Ok. I see where you're coming from. chefbuba chefbuba is right. You really want that delicious clam liquid in your dish.

Generally speaking, when you are making a seafood soup-like dish, you really want to cook the seafood in the soup whenever possible.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. :)

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
If you have a lot of clams, invite friends and enjoy them all at their peak. Then count yourself fortunate to have had such a treat.

Joined Apr 13, 2015
Why? You want the clam liquor in your cioppino. Drop them in the last few minutes covered, they will open on their own.
What's your method? The sauce is typically made ahead of time, with the seafood added to the pan to order, longest cooking first.
Btw... I've made 100's of gallons of sauce.
Ok you guys have convinced me to just cook them in the marinara, Hey chef bubba got any Secret ingredients for ciopinno??? I know Fennel is key and maybe some Sambuca.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Try fennel pollen, basil pairs great of course.

S'cuse me if I just think out loud, I don't do tomato sauces but I'd think bay leaf and thyme would be something different, and butter thrown in, who says it has to be olive oil? Recently discovered how well butter goes in hot sauces, would like to try it in everything now.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Consider the source - Bobby is blanching ahead of time for service - not intended for at home, or party use. When I make Ciopinno I always use the fresh shell fish and it goes in last.

Latest posts

Top Bottom