clad versus disk

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by leswhaley, Nov 25, 2009.

1. leswhaley

leswhaley

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Does anyone think clad saute pans are superior to disk-bottomed when it comes to cooking? I need to buy a saute pan and am not sure which to buy. I have read that it clad is not superior because food is only actually cooked on the bottom of the pan. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Cook's illustrated rates them very similarly. They gave the clad pan a slight edge for it reacting faster to the heat setting of the burner, but this was only a small difference.

People aren't cooking with the sidewalls of the pan. It's marketing hype especially so with a saute pan.

3. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Discs are usually glued on. I'm not kidding, the aluminum pad is glued on to the s/s pan, then a s/s skin glued onto the aluminum pad.

That being siad I've bought "standard" (read: made in Korea/India) disc pans and pots, and used and abused the heck out of them for over 15 years and they're still fine.( Note: A commercial stove has about 25,000 BTU as compared to 15-18,000 BTU for a residential range)

The discs CAN come off IF you leave the pot dry, burning on full power for 15 mins.--then again the pot will be warped anyway, and they CAN come off if you immerse the whole pot into pure oven cleaner overnight.

4. leswhaley

leswhaley

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    All my stainless steel cookware is Revere with the copper bottom, so I guess that is what I was referring to when I said "disk-bottomed." Maybe Revere copper-bottomed is not actually "disk," I'm not sure.