City & Guilds vs CTH

Joined Nov 14, 2021
Hello, I am currently living in Turkey, I am 26 years old and I want to pursue a culinary career (I know I am too old to start but I will not give up). In the country I live in, two different institutions offers apprenticeship opportunities at restaurants and both of them give a certificate at the end of graduation, one gives a City & Guilds certificate and the other a CTH certificate. I have a plan to move to the USA after 1 year. I wonder which certificate will help me more when looking for a job at a local restaurant in the USA from the lowest rank? What else should I consider when choosing between these two institutions? Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm just getting started and have no clue.

Thanks in advance.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
26 years old is not too old to start. If a culinary life is the career you choose, odds are that you will be in it longer than 26 years. My chef's knife is 38 years old!

Both certifications will show a potential employee that you can commit to a goal and accomplish it, which is not a bad thing, but beyond that; in the U.S. they don't carry a lot of weight.

When hiring, the number one thing I look for is attitude. Knowledge, skills, experience are only as good as a person's attitude allow them to be.

You will be able to get a job in the U.S. culinary market whether you have a certification or not. Getting certifications are great, but the driving force in your career will be your attitude.

Joined Nov 14, 2021
Thank you very much for this answer, When I want to quit my dead-end white-collar job and pursue a culinary career, I am very happy to see such responses rather than the destructive reactions of my father and friends :D

Top Bottom