City "chicken"

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pcieluck, Dec 13, 2010.

1. pcieluck

pcieluck

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I'm sure most of you are familiar, it's not really chicken at all. It's breaded skewers of pork and veal. I've accepted the task of making these for Christmas dinner. I want them to be distinctly different, but they need to be very tender. Anyone who's had it will tell you that tough, chewy city chicken is no fun. What comes to my mind, is a slow braised short-rib of both veal and pork, cut from the bone and then skewered. I worry though that will be a little difficult to skewer. and then i've considered the fact that I'd then be breading cooked meat, and then take them to Christmas dinner to be reheated. Two steps I'm worried will dry them out. Suggestions please?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Funny, I never heard the term City Chicken??? I have heard Country Fried.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  3. pcieluck

pcieluck

Exp:
    Line Cook

No sir. completely different dish

4. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  5. pcieluck

pcieluck

Exp:
    Line Cook
    indeed. but like i said it's easy to make these things kinda chewy and not so good to eat. so i want to make these as tender as possible.

6. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yoghurt or buttermilk marinade will tenderize the meat and if you use thick yoghurt under the breading it will make it unnecessary to marinate it at all. 

7. pcieluck

pcieluck

Exp:
    Line Cook
    a buttermilk marinade sounds good, i was thinking of marinating to get a nice mild onion flavor to it anyways.

8. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    If breading it, then you can grate an onion into the thick yoghurt you use under the breading and give an onion flavor like that. 

9. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    City Chicken (a/k/a Mock Chicken Legs) in my area (midwestern US) are made of ground pork and maybe veal. I rarely find them in a store that doesn't cut its own meat, leading me to think they're made of ground scraps. The butchers mix them with unknown "spices" and coat them with crushed corn flakes. I almost bought them one time until I found out they used bits of "pumped" pork in the mix. I didn't know that the time I bought them (once) that they included that drek, but after the first bite, and upon discovering them far too salty to eat, I threw them out.

I hope you have better luck than I've had!

10. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Completely by chance, my local paper (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel) ran a piece on mock chicken legs by Sanford D'Amato. Chef D'Amato is a Beard Award Winner and is the chef-owner of Sanford Restaurant in Milwaukee.

http://www.jsonline.com/features/food/111821444.html

(By the way, Nicko and his wife, Colleen, and I with my husband, have enjoyed Chef D'Amato's dishes at Coquette Cafe in Milwaukee, which he has since sold to some of his former employees.)

11. pcieluck

pcieluck

Exp:
    Line Cook
    wow on rosemary springs. what an interesting idea

12. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    used to do it with grilled shrimp at a country club I worked at. trick is to remove the leaves and actually use the stem as a skewer leave a nice inch or two of rosemary leaves at the top for a bit of flair.  trying to use the leaves and stems usually tore shrimp too much.